• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2020!

liuzhou

Trader Joe's lentil and ancient grains soup (found in refrigerator case). Cool and rainy morning so I felt like soup was going to hit the spot. It is good, but looks like barf, so you'll not see me post a photo.

• Haha 3

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

3 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Didn't have any bacon for my baguette sandwich, so subbed pork cutlets (salted and peppered).

Looking at your baguette I was tempted to say that bacon was overrated but that would be a whopper. Still your meal does look good. I am very curious about the little fishes. Are they a pattern on a plate? 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

20 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Looking at your baguette I was tempted to say that bacon was overrated but that would be a whopper. Still your meal does look good. I am very curious about the little fishes. Are they a pattern on a plate? 

No, it's kitchen paper / paper towels.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

16 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

No, it's kitchen paper / paper towels.

Duh!  Thanks

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Brunch.

Jachnun, haminados eggs, grated tomatoes with mint and schug, plain schug.

Broccoli slaw with a thin coating of mayonnaise, lots of lemon zest, lemon juice, some mint.

To the unfamiliar, jachnun is a buttery (or, sadly, more often margarine-y :S) laminated dough made with date molasses (though it's not much sweeter than a dinner roll). It is then placed in a sealed pot and baked overnight, so that it develops a dark brown color and distinct flavor (butterscotchy, a bit like rugbrod). Actually, the one pictured is not the most successful one, the lamination of the first few was too thick.

IMG_20200307_130916.jpg

IMG_20200307_130119_1.jpg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 3

~ Shai N.

48 minutes ago, shain said:

Jachnun, haminados eggs, grated tomatoes with mint and schug, plain schug.

I am always happy to learn about something new such as the jachnun but I confess it is the broccoli that is calling out to me. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

26 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I am always happy to learn about something new such as the jachnun but I confess it is the broccoli that is calling out to me. 

Jachnun is one of the most well loved dishes in Israel :)

But the broccoli is definitely tasty as well (and faster to make):

1 broccoli (300g), blanched, sliced thinly

Handful of chopped mint

1 onion, thinly sliced

2 tbsp mayo

zest of one lemon

lemon juice ,salt and pepper to taste

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

~ Shai N.

@shain

Thank you so much. 

My 2004 eG Blog

A couple of days ago - IP eggs and Dave’s Killer raisin bread:

DSCN0710.JPG.60c67189bbe627e9addb1240470b6145.JPG

This morning was a rare breakfast at home on a Saturday for the two of us.  Mr. Kim chose fried eggs (cooked too hot, too fast) and bacon:

DSCN0713.JPG.8eb54b2667e0f781c6a4381ce0fc438b.JPG

Still ended up with runny yolks and he was satisfied.  I chose cinnamon toast with Dave’s Killer raisin bread and bacon:

DSCN0714.JPG.bcc55538818d28fbd39b73f8bab79758.JPG

I about burnt the toast, too. 🙄

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, robirdstx said:

Poached Egg on a crispy Hash Brown Patty

Nice play!

• Thanks 1

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, MokaPot said:

@robirdstx Your breakfast looks really good. Did you make that hash brown patty or is it something that we can buy from the store? It reminds me of the McDonald's hash brown patty (different shape, though), which I really like. TIA!

Thanks, store bought in the frozen food section.

• Like 2

47F here at 8am. Could not sleep so started crockpot of lamb shank at 3am with plenty of liquid. So  lamb broth for breakfast. Meat and veg on "hold warm" for rest of day. Really really good. The gross looking yellow blobs are squirts of ballpark mustard - ran out of Dijon. 

IMG_1249.JPG

• Like 6
  • Delicious 2

Ever since I saw @liuzhou's pan fried pork, I've had a craving.

Had planned to make it last night but Moe wasn't hungry so I made it this morning.

I butterflied two small boneless pork loin chops and pounded them thin.

1641802819_PanfriedporkloinchopsMarch16th2020.thumb.jpg.43173a1e86e1108a92c670d9c02f78d2.jpg

Pan fried, with enough drippings to make gravy. 

• Like 8
  • Delicious 4

@Ann_T 

although everything you make and paste looks Sooooo delicious

Im especially impressed w your consistently fine  Mashed Potatoes and Gravy

I never peeled , just ' cleaned '    I thought that improved them noticeably.

do you peel ?

if you do , try it once w just cleaning and de-divoting the bad spots

love to hear your opinion 

@rotuts, just I always peel for mashed potatoes.  My mom was the worst cook and her potatoes were always lumpy (as in uncooked lumps).

I hate lumps.  And have never been a fan of potato peels.  The only time I don't peel is for french fries.  

And I use russet potatoes for everything. Mashed, scalloped, fried, baked, etc...   And russets always mash up smooth.   

1036160593_PotatoMasher.thumb.jpg.48fc88270b9bb518288489f62c3b8fe8.jpg

For a large quantity I use a ricer, but for just a few potatoes I use the old fashion masher.  Presidents Choice brand.

Bought a number of years ago.  Also works great when making refried beans.

152277188_PotatoMasher1.thumb.jpg.729963a63b2d6115b78685322952dfb5.jpg

Not sure if it shows well in this picture, or the one below,  but the masher is blade like (but not sharp) and the bottom edge is just slightly tapered and rounded. 

1010218412_PotatoMasher2.thumb.jpg.1de28d2cb8e2061e466b4b813ab600ed.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

I have the same one. It's actually meant as a pastry cutter (and is the best I've ever owned), but certainly works well for mashing too.

• Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning