• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2020!

liuzhou

3 minutes ago, gfweb said:

No toaster since I left my parent's house..... some time ago.  Toaster ovens...of course.

Now, with the CSO and BSO, I toast my bread on a  steel pan on the stove.  Takes  < half the time of the CSO/BSO.

I enjoy skillet toast, as I call it, but I consider it a different animal. 

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

22 hours ago, Anna N said:

But I’m curious to know what setting you use and if you are working from frozen or not.

@Anna N, I must confess that I don't care for frozen pizza and if truth be told, I'm not that big on leftover homemade pizza either.   BUT, the CSO reheats a slice or two of pizza quickly and it tastes almost as good as

freshly baked.   I preheat the stone for just a couple of minutes on the convection bake setting and when I slide the slice on to the stone I switch to steam bake setting for about 4 minutes.   

20 hours ago, Anna N said:

@Katie Meadow, @kayb

What is this crazy thing you are calling a toaster?  Is it like those things they have in the Smithsonian?  

I wondered the same thing.  I don't think I have owned a toaster in probably 25 or 30 years.   I found toaster ovens better

for various slice sizes of homemade bread.

Moe's breakfast.

2013434353_SmokedPorkChopwithpotatoesandscrambledeggMarch6th2020.thumb.jpg.4ffa40c5f17cc1d4d2f807a76604229e.jpg

Smoked Pork Chop with roasted home fries with peppers and onions, scrambled eggs and toasted homemade baguette.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

1 minute ago, Ann_T said:

@Anna N, I must confess that I don't care for frozen pizza and if truth be told, I'm not that big on leftover homemade pizza either.   BUT, the CSO reheats a slice or two of pizza quickly and it tastes almost as good as

freshly baked.   I preheat the stone for just a couple of minutes on the convection bake setting and when I slide the slice on to the stone I switch to steam bake setting for about 4 minutes.   

I wondered the same thing.  I don't think I have owned a toaster in probably 25 or 30 years.   I found toaster ovens better

for various slice sizes of homemade bread.

Moe's breakfast.

2013434353_SmokedPorkChopwithpotatoesandscrambledeggMarch6th2020.thumb.jpg.4ffa40c5f17cc1d4d2f807a76604229e.jpg

Smoked Pork Chop with roasted home fries with peppers and onions, scrambled eggs and toasted homemade baguette.

A feast!

6 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Google reports making toast in a CSO

1054309701_ScreenShot2020-03-06at7_12_23AM.thumb.png.9bf9aa8dfd432e4c7d460402d3168370.pngIt

Toast takes under a minute in our Breville toaster.    Great for time intolerant people...like us. 

I like dark toast and use the CSO. It takes around 3 minutes on “toast”. I don’t understand the directions to cook at 350F. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, gfweb said:

No toaster since I left my parent's house..... some time ago.  Toaster ovens...of course.

Now, with the CSO and BSO, I toast my bread on a  steel pan on the stove.  Takes  < half the time of the CSO/BSO.

After a weekend's excavation I've unearthed my venerable Krups, which had been buried since I acquired my first CSO.  Memory is the Krups produced excellent toast but required too much counter space.

A week or so ago the Wall Street Journal affirmed the latest thing is steam toasters.  What's up with that?

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

9 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

A week or so ago the Wall Street Journal affirmed the latest thing is steam toasters.  What's up with that?

Well I didn’t find the Wall Street Journal article but I did find this. $300+ for a toaster?  What’s up with that?

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Lots of interesting items in the "similar products" on that Amazon page.

This one seems pretty well rounded, but the "vertical toaster oven" is just odd.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

My riff on a Tortilla de sobrasada y queso Mahón (Omelet of Mallorquin sausage and Mahón cheese) from José Andrés' Made in Spain.

IMG_2100.thumb.jpeg.ba8f5cf5bf9e7dabbaf6bfddca5f9216.jpeg

I substituted 'nduja for the sobrasada as they are both very soft sausages and grated a random piece of cheese which I know was from Spain but was not Mahón.  

I wasn't confident that I could flip a cheesy omelet in my 6-inch cast iron skillet so I went with egg rings in a non-stick skillet to make little one egg versions. 

• Like 6

13 hours ago, Anna N said:

Well I didn’t find the Wall Street Journal article but I did find this. $300+ for a toaster?  What’s up with that?

Here's the WSJ link...

https://www.wsj.com/articles/toast-test-are-high-tech-toasters-worth-the-price-11581449564

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

5 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Thanks. As I suspected it is behind a pay wall. Not a complaint just a statement of fact. 

My 2004 eG Blog

2 minutes ago, heidih said:

Thanks for this.    I am so out of the loop that it reads like science fiction.    My toast is something that assuages hunger within 15 minutes of getting up in a normal morning.   Bruschetta, tomato toast and friends are easy snacks when we or friends want a drink sop.    But all of these and their many incarnations are something we cobble up at home.   Pay for them at restaurant multiples?   You gotta be kidding.   

eGullet member #80.

2 hours ago, heidih said:

This is the link I wanted to post and used wrong search words for. It is quite a story - toast and salvation and connection.   https://psmag.com/social-justice/toast-story-latest-artisanal-food-craze-72676

Edited by heidih (log)

D79CACD8-BC22-4966-B7B0-7320074CEB64.thumb.jpeg.f1f708437b68a638fb1068c153129b57.jpeg

so simple. So good.  

• Like 7
  • Delicious 2

My 2004 eG Blog

Saw this repost of an older recipe from Smitten Kitchen this AM and had to make it.  Kind of a salade Lyonnaise on a crusty roll.  Here's the recipe: Fried egg sandwich with bacon and blue cheese

If I'd taken a photo, it would have looked like this but messier.  

Delicious to be sure but I'm inclined to think the salad, topped with poached egg and crusty bread on the side would be as good, but less messy. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Went down to VA Beach to see my sister the other day.  Got breakfast on the way:

IMG_1483.thumb.jpg.e3fea5a949c3389da3b00cbb23945274.jpg

IMG_1484.jpg.0031894f5d7ef5628354a45b6db98dd6.jpg

I finally got my hands on a breakfast crunchwrap.  I’ve been wanting to try this for a long time.  The Crunchwrap Supreme is my favorite thing at Taco Bell, so I was sure I’d love this.  And I would have loved it except for a distinct “taco seasoning” flavor that I found really off-putting in a breakfast item.  Looking online, I think that it might just be their “taco sauce or jalapeno sauce” that they apparently add.  It was in no way too spicy for me, just a flavor that I didn’t enjoy with breakfast.  I also missed the fried tortilla crunch that is in the Supreme.   I might try it again if I can request “no sauce”.  The eggs were fluffy, the sausage was juicy and tasty and I love the addition of hash browns. 

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Inspired by this recipe for Creamy White Beans With 'Nduja, Kale, and Gremolata Breadcrumbs on Serious Eats. 

We need a SHUDDER Emoji. 

• Haha 6

My 2004 eG Blog

4 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I promise I will not serve this when you come to visit, but it absolutely hit the spot and warmed me up on a cool, cloudy morning!

No worries. It can’t always be about me… can it? I am glad you enjoyed it and even though it is not something I would attempt to either make or eat it still looks attractive.  

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

14 minutes ago, Anna N said:

No worries. It can’t always be about me… can it? I am glad you enjoyed it and even though it is not something I would attempt to either make or eat it still looks attractive.  

If I was really thinking about how to appall maximum membership, I could have added some corn 😉

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6
  • Sad 1