• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2020!

liuzhou

57 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

The technique for cooking is interesting as it's fried in a little bath of smoking hot garlic-infused oil so it doesn't spread out and has more the shape of a poached egg but crispy around the edges.

I knew there was something very familiar about this technique. Thai kai dao!

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

17 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I knew there was something very familiar about this technique. Thai kai dao!

Nice catch!  I like that they said to use your smallest pan.  Andrés says to tilt the skillet to make a pool of oil for the egg.  I used my little 5-inch Lodge cast iron skillet and it was perfect!

• Like 2

On 2/29/2020 at 12:50 PM, blue_dolphin said:

Staffordshire oatcake (more on the oatcakes over here😞

IMG_2045.thumb.jpeg.8070b62da13b66fa7152bf3ba2497f83.jpeg

Coincidentally, I just fell over this treatment in Cuisine et Vins de France...topped with blood sausage, sauted apples, green onion, bacon and dill.   I could do this for breakfast too, or lunch or...   Your batter is more interesting, complex.

photo-1.thumb.JPG.8773aad36f0e273b73b4081f296f8c78.JPG

• Like 3

eGullet member #80.

650FE3B8-E09E-43FC-860A-CEE127E4712A.thumb.jpeg.85fc8e4e30b104a35e56899e3324807c.jpeg

Spam, fried egg and beer, caramelized onion,and cheese quick bread, toasted.

• Like 5
  • Delicious 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

LOL I misread that at first, and thought the beer went with the fried egg and the onion-and-cheese bread.

Threw me for a moment...I know you enjoy a libation well enough, but hadn't figured you for a beer at breakfast person. :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

5 hours ago, Ann_T said:

Wings and Greek Salad.

1006391717_WingsandGreekSaladBreakfastMarch3rd2020.thumb.jpg.49b76ba407bc9868e9ad14b152747b9d.jpg

Didn't get cooked last night. So..........

528339461_WingsandGreekSaladBreakfastMarch3rd20201.thumb.jpg.b8fb16970719a6e3d1d8ba2329a2a3e1.jpg

breakfast for two this morning. 

I am impressed by your intestinal fortitude.  A 'meal' like this first thing in the morning would destroy my gut.  lol.

5 hours ago, Ann_T said:

Wings and Greek Salad.

Looks like a nice start to the day. I have to say I knew something about the table was a statement but it flew over my head. Now I see wings & the beautiful Plymouth Rock hen piece.- well done. 

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

My 2004 eG Blog

51 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

@Anna N, I never cared for leftover pizza before until the CSO.  We had leftover pizza for breakfast yesterday.

I confess to never attempting to use the CSO. Mine goes into the Breville smart oven on the pizza setting.  But I’m curious to know what setting you use and if you are working from frozen or not.  I find frozen pizza a godsend when I don’t have whatever I need in the way of stamina to make something to eat. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Leftover pizza for the appliance challenged:

We don't have a toaster oven. We don't have a CSO or any countertop oven. We do make our own pizza in our only oven using a steel. But if I am eating leftover pizza for breakfast it is out of the question to wait an hour to heat up a couple of slices. Believe it or not, we use the toaster. Just stick in a slice, pointy end up, and a couple of minutes later crispy melty pizza almost as good as the night before. One caveat. We don't make loaded pizzas, but rather thin-crust minimalist style with modest amount of tomato sauce and mozz and one additional veg topping. I would think twice about toasting pizza that was topped with a zillion things and a ton of cheese. Also a medium to large slice will stick up beyond the slot and the tip will get warmed at  best. No way a deal-breaker for a slice of excellent pizza in three minutes. You do need to monitor the temp and get a feel for the timing to make sure your cheese isn't getting dangerously drippy. Also I suppose your toaster should be a relaxed one with wide slots and not one that has a death-grip on whatever goes in it. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

Leftover pizza for the appliance challenged:

We don't have a toaster oven. We don't have a CSO or any countertop oven. We do make our own pizza in our only oven using a steel. But if I am eating leftover pizza for breakfast it is out of the question to wait an hour to heat up a couple of slices. Believe it or not, we use the toaster. Just stick in a slice, pointy end up, and a couple of minutes later crispy melty pizza almost as good as the night before. One caveat. We don't make loaded pizzas, but rather thin-crust minimalist style with modest amount of tomato sauce and mozz and one additional veg topping. I would think twice about toasting pizza that was topped with a zillion things and a ton of cheese. Also a medium to large slice will stick up beyond the slot and the tip will get warmed at  best. No way a deal-breaker for a slice of excellent pizza in three minutes. You do need to monitor the temp and get a feel for the timing to make sure your cheese isn't getting dangerously drippy. Also I suppose your toaster should be a relaxed one with wide slots and not one that has a death-grip on whatever goes in it. 

FWIW -- you can turn the toaster on its side so the topping side of the pizza will be up. If you do this, you need to make sure the slots are not facing the edge of the cabinet so your pizza will not go in the floor. Not that I know this from experience or anything.

Edited by kayb (log)
  • Haha 6

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

@Katie Meadow, @kayb

What is this crazy thing you are calling a toaster?  Is it like those things they have in the Smithsonian?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

My 2004 eG Blog

19 hours ago, Anna N said:

@Katie Meadow, @kayb

What is this crazy thing you are calling a toaster?  Is it like those things they have in the Smithsonian?  

I did once have one. Retired it when I got my CSO.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

10 minutes ago, kayb said:

I did once have one. Retired it when I got my CSO.

Cannot even recall the last time there was a toaster in my house.

My 2004 eG Blog

E212E472-0218-4691-9FC2-C169B052B89C.thumb.jpeg.ecf3014011e0f5c4adce740ec349b585.jpeg

I know that breakfast looks very suspiciously like lunch/dinner yesterday evening. But I’m not cheating. Check the grill marks on the steak. 😂  There is a long, boring story as to how this all came about but the primary impetus I lay on the shoulders of @blue_dolphin  I could not dismiss from my mind her casually dropped comment about a little lime juice on some winter tomatoes. That’s my excuse and you will not budge me from it. If I had any sense and was fully awake I would have washed it down with a beer just to confound @chromedome.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

My 2004 eG Blog

14 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Google reports making toast in a CSO

1054309701_ScreenShot2020-03-06at7_12_23AM.thumb.png.9bf9aa8dfd432e4c7d460402d3168370.pngIt

Toast takes under a minute in our Breville toaster.    Great for time intolerant people...like us. 

In addition to time intolerance, you must have a taste for very pale toast!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

In addition to time intolerance, you must have a taste for very pale toast!

Not at all.    We have essentially unlimited gradation.   There is even a "lift and peak" option that allows you to check on doneness and either continue or stop.    But to your question, I think I want a medium toast.    Crisp on the outside, still tender on the inside.   Hot enough to melt butter.   Certainly not hardtack.

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)
  • Like 1

eGullet member #80.

43 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Cannot even recall the last time there was a toaster in my house.

No toaster since I left my parent's house..... some time ago.  Toaster ovens...of course.

Now, with the CSO and BSO, I toast my bread on a  steel pan on the stove.  Takes  < half the time of the CSO/BSO.

• Confused 1