• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2020!

liuzhou

Inspired by @blue_dolphin:

D67ACEB2-BDDA-4017-BF2C-CE63A55BB4EF.thumb.jpeg.ba1795b44144e4e7062eae1709fbc086.jpeg

Goat cheese on rye crisps with ginger marmalade. Next time I think I might try a sprinkle of heat such as Aleppo pepper.  Was too lazy and somewhat  pushed for time to try it this morning. 

• Like 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Trying to be better about not letting things languish in the freezer...breakfast was "planned-over" roasted garnet sweet potato reheated in office micro. This is becoming a favorite for these cold rainy days.

• Like 2

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Like @BeeZee, I had planned-over roasted sweet potato for breakfast, based on a recipe in Diana Henry's Simple for baked sweet potato, chorizo, mushrooms and egg.

IMG_1911.thumb.jpeg.bfc1a08a520cb5e3ff0f47aae548384c.jpeg

I cut the potato in half and re-heated it on the Phillips grill.  I like the bit of caramelization here.  Mushrooms get cooked first, then the sliced chorizo and finally the egg, all in the same pan.  Smoked paprika sprinkle.

My egg stuck to the pan a little, right in the middle so my nice runny yolk leaked out on to the plate but not to worry - I got it all!

• Like 7

A couple of recent breakfasts –

1959086456_bfast2.thumb.jpg.ee1286881b44ae9ce35ccf795efc2d65.jpg

I was starving and thought I wanted all of this and in the end, I mostly ate watermelon:

329783485_bfast1.jpg.d8df3cf7596a1e1835a059f12839e701.jpg

😉

Another:

DSCN0624.JPG.5529534f56884b8f23795457bf81078f.JPG

Raisin bread toasted with peanut butter. This is an inheritance from my paternal family.  We all turn bright red when we laugh, drink vodka tonics with extra lime and adore raisin toast w/ PB!

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Raisin toast with PB sounds like a perfect dessert to me. My stepmother thinks she is  Miss Innovation when she does PB and banana for breakfast. Can't hear well so the Elvis reference zips over her head.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, heidih said:

Raisin toast with PB sounds like a perfect dessert to me. My stepmother thinks she is  Miss Innovation when she does PB and banana for breakfast. Can't hear well so the Elvis reference zips over her head.

According to my family, adding blueberry preserves to this combination makes the world's best breakfast, snack, or dessert.  It really is the pinnacle.  😁

670B843F-6516-4D8F-A48E-BF744FFC197D.thumb.jpeg.2fc4a56f44531e4903e13f3e42c801dd.jpeg

41FC2396-1996-4FDD-A828-E4F7ACE42FA1.thumb.jpeg.65b05fa0fbfd6e68bfa80163aa0e680f.jpeg

Crustless quiche with prosciutto and cheddar. I knew even as I was pouring it into the dish that the proportions were off.  In the spirit of never apologizing, I renamed it cheese pie. Just for my own satisfaction since I’m the only one eating it!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Some of Yesterday’s cheese pie reheated in salsa. 

178FECDF-2A6C-48AC-A7BB-77A013991FB7.thumb.jpeg.3e93f0644c9eb491a254e0bbe30af659.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 3

My 2004 eG Blog

33 minutes ago, heidih said:

@blue_dolphin All looks good but you are killing me with the blood oranges. So beautiful. It has been forever since I had one. What would you say is unique in their flavor?

Honestly, of the citrus I bought at the this week's farmers market, the blood oranges are the least flavorful but they are so dramatic that I couldn't resist getting a few.  In general, I find them a bit less sweet than navels with more of a floral/berry fragrance and a tiny bit more bitterness but it does depend on the variety.  The blood oranges I was getting for the last few weeks were smaller and sweeter.  The grower has moved on to harvesting a different variety that seem bigger and blander but also deeper in color.

I also got some amazing tangerines and some cara cara or red navel oranges and both of them are great!

466E9856-CEDC-49FF-9551-43AA680B557B.thumb.jpeg.1814003c12081611c77a575054889da0.jpegCheddar smokie, fried egg, skillet toast, mushrooms and as a change from HP sauce A new condiment from Ideas in Food blog — gochujang-mustard.

• Like 7
  • Delicious 3

My 2004 eG Blog

Eggs with Bell Peppers & 'Nduja from Diana Henry's Simple

IMG_1939.thumb.jpeg.382454453392b41404d80f1979192b89.jpeg
I deviated slightly from the recipe where Diana calls for pre-cooked potatoes to be crisped in olive oil and I made the Schmaltzy Potatoes from Shaya instead.  Since the potatoes are seasoned with the Herb Salt from that book, I used it to season the peppers and the egg.  In honor of the potatoes, I fried the egg in schmaltz, too.  
Dang,  those potatoes are so good, I would have been happy with just a plate of them. 

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 5
  • Delicious 4

@Captain– the Pikelets look delicious.  I had to Google them.  They look puffy enough to satisfy me!  I either like pancakes flat (crepes) or fluffy and high!  I’d love the recipe, if you would care to share.

Mr. Kim brought me home a raisin bagel from a platter at work and I cinnamon toasted it:

DSCN0641.JPG.0db958250fbed31a4ed9e31a31c201c3.JPG

• Like 5

1 minute ago, scubadoo97 said:

Interesting look.

Very pretty indeed. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog