• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2020!

liuzhou

Frog and toad in the hole from Melissa Clark's cookbook Dinner: Changing the Game.  There is a layer of breakfast sausage sautéed with scallions under the bread. Tasty, but rich.  Half of this would have been sufficient.

2024192397_frogandtoad.thumb.jpg.f2a4467d3dc1254fcf3f59e0a16011b3.jpg

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Best thing I read all week and it's only Tuesday!!

I did not want to make a big deal about the fact that I had managed to restock but I admit that I wondered if you would notice!

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

34 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

Frog and toad in the hole from Melissa Clark's cookbook Dinner: Changing the Game.

So I searched and searched for this recipe using Google to no avail. It would seem that one needs to own the book in order to access it. Amazon was kind enough to tell me that I did indeed own the damn book.

I was much more interested in discovering why it got the name it did.

Here is a quote from the book:

“Breakfast sausages are the frogs, eggs are the toads, toast makes the holes.”

Nothing in my experience can make this make any sense whatsoever. “Toad in the Hole” is well known British dish in which sausages are cooked inside Yorkshire pudding with the sausages being the toad. So how did they mutate into frogs? Apparently they acquired US citizenship. “Toad in the Hole” in that country refers to an egg cook inside a piece of toast in which a round hole has been created. It’s early in the morning but I think I need a scotch. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

8 hours ago, Anna N said:

<Amusing discussion of recipe mutation elided>

Apparently they acquired US citizenship. “Toad in the Hole” in that country refers to an egg cook inside a piece of toast in which a round hole has been created. 

Oddly enough, I know that egg/toast treatment as "Sunshine in the Window". Sounds much more appetizing than "Toad in the Hole", if you ask me. ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

2 hours ago, chefmd said:

I could not finish my half,

It’s the kale.

• Haha 8

My 2004 eG Blog

3558EA0E-8A84-4CFF-A0A5-8560AD03AC84.thumb.jpeg.e10fd52f5eb8f5e07a97add2581ce263.jpeg

When you wake up craving potatoes you can be fairly certain you belong here on eG. Bacon, onion and potato hash with a fried egg. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

My 2004 eG Blog

On 12/31/2019 at 5:11 PM, liuzhou said:

2020.thumb.jpg.97c1ef95b1305c33726a51a0e5ab7e9a.jpg

Following a long-standing tradition of simple bacon sarnie on New Year's Day. May it be a Happy One!

20200101_090117.thumb.jpg.5436c72c65bae7c55ea92cc6475cc167.jpg

20200101_090131.thumb.jpg.4fd3a1219ed0c51da4cb276ce19b5450.jpg

Liuzhou

That bacon sarni looks delicious! I was once in Yorkshire UK, where they were eating a hamburger type bun with just bacon rashers and it was called ‘Bacon Butti’! There was also another version called ‘Chip Butti’ with potato chips (fries). 
heheh

Bhukkhad

6 hours ago, Bhukhhad said:

I was once in Yorkshire UK, where they were eating a hamburger type bun with just bacon rashers and it was called ‘Bacon Butti’! There was also another version called ‘Chip Butti’ with potato chips (fries). 

It's 'butty' or 'buttie' and is very common in the UK, especially in north England. Originally it just meant bread and butter, but can be now be any sandwich. Jam butties are also popular.

• Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

After yesterday's decadent breakfast, it was time for something healthier today.  Chia pudding and a blueberry-strawberry-banana smoothie I made in the Vitamix, topped with raspberries, mango, plain yogurt, and a handful of homemade granola plus a drizzle of honey.  Yet another idea from Half Baked Harvest.

1632354044_breakfastbuddhabowl.thumb.jpg.4a1ded0cdcfdd5563f8254f67ebd35bd.jpg

• Like 4

Green lentils with hot dogs.  My grandma used to cut hot dogs ends when she cooked for me.  I miss my grandma.  She loved me the best when I was a child.  And she was an amazing cook considering the paucity of food available to her in the USSR.  

DADC272A-D6C5-4745-A2EB-2B7F12E58217.thumb.jpeg.2623fb1fa2eecb9324d3c3dc39f3d508.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

D7B399B7-DCE9-4837-84FC-497564A01787.thumb.jpeg.7be2612dca514e884687afb15b1b51c2.jpeg

Jamie Oliver’s interpretation of the kimchi toastie. His twist is to sprinkle grated cheese into a nonstick pan and when the sandwich is toasted on one side it is flipped and placed atop and left there until the cheese melts and adheres to the bread. 

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

B69DB056-FFEB-45CA-B455-9F9743BA52B2.thumb.jpeg.f6f485e4d7b4c31f0039f70ebab7f44b.jpeg

Roasted root vegetables, ghee-fried egg and a side of ajvar. 

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

My 2004 eG Blog

8 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Roasted root vegetables, ghee-fried egg and a side of ajvar. 

Ajvar used to reside in my fridge and pantry. Must re-visit. What brand? How does ghee compare to simple butter to you? 

6 minutes ago, heidih said:

Ajvar used to reside in my fridge and pantry. Must re-visit. What brand? How does ghee compare to simple butter to you? 

No idea. It was the last of the jar and my cleaning angel took away my recycles. Ghee is in a liquid state so it is more convenient. 

My 2004 eG Blog

Debating what to have for breakfast while sipping a mug of café de olla

959124849_IMG_1836(1).thumb.jpeg.693111da2956f09af336eedafcd97ccd.jpeg

I've been testing and tweaking recipes since I went to a restaurant in Burbank called Café de Olla and enjoyed their signature beverage.  

I think I've nailed the spice mixture and coffee strength. I  also like using a separate piloncillo syrup so I can add just a touch of it in a hot mug to complement the spices and a little more in a tall glass of iced café. 

• Like 3