• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2020!

liuzhou

Well, I at least started out the year healthy. Yogurt and granola.

I really don't particularly want black eyed peas today, but not sure if I want to defy the Good Luck Gods.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 hour ago, Okanagancook said:

OMG @robirdstx

I bet those potatoes were wonderful.  Look at the crispy edges you got and egg is perfect.  Yum.  We have some leftover spatzle so I am making something similar....but in duck fat.

Indeed they were! Happy New Year!

Just in time to finish 2019 and open a new jar of Little Scarlet Strawberry Conserve.

Sour Dough and beurre d'isigny butter with a side of mature Gouda or Manchego and a pot of steaming coffee for the perfect start of the day.

https://www.bonappetit.com/story/tiptree-little-scarlet-strawberry-preserve

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Scarlet

NhLxUBR.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

On 1/2/2020 at 9:12 AM, Nicolai said:

Just in time to finish 2019 and open a new jar of Little Scarlet Strawberry Conserve.

Sour Dough and beurre d'isigny butter with a side of mature Gouda or Manchego and a pot of steaming coffee for the perfect start of the day.

https://www.bonappetit.com/story/tiptree-little-scarlet-strawberry-preserve

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Scarlet

NhLxUBR.jpg

That is my favorite jam in all the world.  I'm sad that Santa somehow forgot my jar this year.  

This morning:

DSCN0573.JPG.151638361655269285a7c184252c1bda.JPG

Cornmeal waffle and ham from yesterday's dinner, topped with an egg.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, shain said:

Rice pudding with garam masala, cardamom, turmeric, milk, coconut, raisins.

Coconut flakes, cashew, pistachio.

I think that sounds really interesting and I love the colour.   I would have to pick out the raisins though.  

Moe had the other half of the steak that I didn't cook last night.

1663461008_SteakandEggsforBreakfastJanuary3rd2020.thumb.jpg.102ed55527bfee24ce1517a672702244.jpg

Because it was so thick, I cut it into two slices and cooked them in the cast iron skillet.  

281249938_SteakandEggsforBreakfastJanuary3rd20202.thumb.jpg.05e3e3eaa2b0fa9d4e062b5d82bd7af9.jpg

Served with butter basted eggs and toasted baguette. 

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

7 hours ago, Norm Matthews said:

I saw this Hot Fudge, Brownie, Cheesecake on the internet yesterday and made it.  It was breakfast this morning!

20200106_110853.jpg

Now that is my kind of breakfast.    Was it as good as it looks?

1595655996_LastbaguettefromfreezerJanuary6th20201.thumb.jpg.43dc5949a8c10ffb001f81709329a108.jpg

Good thing I was baking bread today. Pulled the last baguette out of the freezer this morning

114973219_BackbaconandhardfriedeggontoastedbaguetteJanuary6th2020.thumb.jpg.4177ced78335be43045850ef706d408a.jpg

and made Canadian Back Bacon and hard fried egg sandwiches on toasted baguette. 

• Like 10

My brother gave me a Vitamix for Christmas so I used it yesterday to make a breakfast smoothie.  2 cups spinach, 1 cup green grapes, 1/2 cup pineapple, 1/2 banana, 1 cup water, 1/2 cup ice.  Pretty tasty, but I am looking for other recipes that have more vegetables and less fruit (I don't have a sweet tooth).  I found a spicy vegetable one with tomato, carrot and jalapeño that I am going to try next.

smoothie.thumb.jpg.6cdda8ae96a9eca744dbb711b9bcceaf.jpg

This morning, breakfast taco made with one egg scrambled with leftover garlicky collard greens from last night's dinner, avocado, goat cheese, and leftover aji sauce (also made in the Vitamix)

1156290727_eggtaco.thumb.jpg.0ffd7a3d4675d3df8efb1b4a7bb8cf80.jpg

• Like 4
  • Delicious 2

I made homemade V8 juice when I was on my smoothie kick several years ago. Tomatoes, cucumber, cooked beets, parsley, spinach. I think there was celery, and some Worcestershire. It wasn't half bad.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com