• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

dtremit

dtremit

(Why do I reply to posts when I mean to edit them? Oops.)

I should just make a batch of homemade bulk chorizo one of these days and freeze it off in half pounds.

dtremit

dtremit

Just now, dtremit said:

Made sausage gravy with chorizo this morning for a slightly more festive breakfast. Came out really well (and I almost never make sausage gravy, so I'm fairly proud of myself).

I haven't found anywhere in Boston that sells really good Mexican-style chorizo. But the fresh chorizo from Wegmans is a pretty decent sausage, even if it's not exactly what I'm looking for. The closest actually is the soy chorizo from Trader Joe's; I had a few ounces of that left. So I browned up the Wegmans pork stuff, and then added in the soy chorizo. (note to self: need to make a batch of homemade and freeze it.)

In retrospect, I should have drained the fat out beforehand, as the soy chorizo absorbed a lot of the grease from the pork sausage. Oops. Mix of bacon fat and butter to the rescue. Microplaned in a couple of cloves of garlic for extra flavor just before adding the flour, and gave it a dash of smoked paprika since I can't quit the stuff lately. Otherwise, the standard sausage gravy process. A little apple cider vinegar at the end really helped balance it out.

As the sausage was browning I went to get out the biscuits we'd ordered with our Thanksgiving bakery order and...realized we didn't actually order those. Oops. Bisquick to the rescue. Not my proudest moment, but you couldn't see 'em under the gravy.

Served with some strips of roasted poblano (thank you, CSO) and some fried eggs. I am getting better at fried eggs, these days; I can usually nail the texture I want. Took long enough.