• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

dtremit

dtremit

Once again forgot to take a picture — but green tomato shakshuka was brunch yesterday. Really came out well.

We got a bunch of green tomatoes from our CSA a week ago — I was going to pickle them, but while I was getting around to it, half of them ripened. So not worth the effort.

I remembered that Rawia Bishara's tomatillo shakshuka was originally developed as a green tomato recipe, so figured it couldn't hurt to try.

Of course I didn't actually follow her recipe or any other, just used what I had. Sauteed onions, mild jalapeños, a random Hungarian Wax pepper, and garlic, then added in the diced green tomatoes. Simmered that with a bit of water (with a touch of bouillon powder since I didn't have stock open), some ground coriander, and a little can of roasted green chiles (these were Target brand, but I usually get the ones from TJ's). Forgot to add cumin at the beginning, so sizzled up some cumin seeds in oil and threw that in midway through. Also roasted two slightly sickly poblanos in the CSO; peeled, chopped, and thrown in when they were ready. Let it all simmer down until the tomatoes were tender. Stirred in some ribbons of spinach for extra green towards the end of that.

In with the eggs, which I actually nailed the texture on for once. Finished with lemon juice, parsley, and some crumbles of cotija.

Really tasty and we felt good eating it. I'd repeat it frequently if I had access to green tomatoes! Tomatillos would be fine, I'm sure, but good ones are hard to find reliably here (and that was when I was shopping in person).

dtremit

dtremit

Once again forgot to take a picture — but green tomato shakshuka was brunch yesterday. Really came out well.

We got a bunch of green tomatoes from our CSA a week ago — I was going to pickle them, but while I was getting around to it, half of them ripened. So not worth the effort.

I remembered that Rawia Bishara's tomatillo shakshuka was originally developed as a green tomato recipe, so figured it couldn't hurt to try.

Of course I didn't actually follow her recipe or any other, just used what I had. Sauteed onions, mild jalapeños, a random Hungarian Wax pepper, and garlic, then added in the diced green tomatoes. Simmered that with a bit of water (with a touch of bouillon powder since I didn't have stock open), some ground coriander, and a little can of roasted green chiles (these were Target brand, but I usually get the ones from TJ's). Forgot to add cumin at the beginning, so sizzled up some cumin seeds in oil and threw that in midway through. Also roasted two slightly sickly poblanos in the CSO; peeled, chopped, and thrown in when they were ready. Let it all simmer down until the tomatoes were tender.

In with the eggs, which I actually nailed the texture on for once. Finished with lemon juice, parsley, and some crumbles of cotija.

Really tasty and we felt good eating it. I'd repeat it frequently if I had access to green tomatoes! Tomatillos would be fine, I'm sure, but good ones are hard to find reliably here (and that was when I was shopping in person).