• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

ambra

ambra

41 minutes ago, shain said:

Nothing special about the local beans, I don't think. The only "secret" I know of is a good long soak and and a long slow cooking time. Some flavorings perhaps? Bay leaves and garlic are commonly added, some add an onion or carrot. I like it with a really peppery olive oil, but in some African countries ghee is also common. I knew of places that add lentils, to mellow the fava taste and make it more paste like as they break down.

If you like ful, do try it on top of a sharp tangy labneh, with plenty of olive oil and cumin. That's my favorite way to eat ful. Tomatoes, chilies and a boiled egg are a must. In the picture below it's a salad based on egg, pickles, onion and tahini; as well as a salad of tomatoes and chili.

IMG_20180825_154327_1.thumb.jpg.4b313725655b86765068d2eacf897fbf.jpg

These are the only fava beans I can get here. When I get fresh in spring, I do all kinds of fun recipes. These I reserve for fave e cicorie. But yes, that's definitely the way I enjoy Ful!  So delicious! 😊

image.png.1a4133f881dcce3505fe1d9e89f0c795.png

ambra

ambra

36 minutes ago, shain said:

Nothing special about the local beans, I don't think. The only "secret" I know of is a good long soak and and a long slow cooking time. Some flavorings perhaps? Bay leaves and garlic are commonly added, some add an onion or carrot. I like it with a really peppery olive oil, but in some African countries ghee is also common. I knew of places that add lentils, to mellow the fava taste and make it more paste like as they break down.

If you like ful, do try it on top of a sharp tangy labneh, with plenty of olive oil and cumin. That's my favorite way to eat ful. Tomatoes, chilies and a boiled egg are a must. In the picture below it's a salad based on egg, pickles, onion and tahini; as well as a salad of tomatoes and chili.

IMG_20180825_154327_1.thumb.jpg.4b313725655b86765068d2eacf897fbf.jpg

These are the only fava beans I can get here. When I get fresh in spring, I do all kinds of fun recipes. These I reserve for fave e cicorie. But yes, that's definitely the way I enjoy Ful! 

image.png.1a4133f881dcce3505fe1d9e89f0c795.png