• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Katie Meadow

Katie Meadow

@Anna N and anyone else who likes blue cheese toast, try this. GH is so fastidious I'm a little surprised she instructs you to slice the Cambazola. It isn't very sliceable in my house, even when cold. So I pay no attention to that. Also I don't bother with the microplane for the garlic, jus squeeze a bit into mix. Other types of blue cheese could probably be subbed, and we won't tell her. It's very yummy.

GABRIELLE HAMILTON’S CELERY TOAST

2 slices country white Pullman bread, 1/2-inch thick

Sweet butter

4 ounces Cambozola triple-cream blue cheese, sliced, divided evenly between two toasts

1 cup shaved celery, from the inner head, toughouter stalks removed, thinly sliced on the bias

2 scallions, thinly sliced on bias all the way up from the white through the green

1 large clove garlic

Extra-virgin olive oil

Lemon juice

Kosher salt

Several grinds black pepper

Toast the bread to golden. Butter generously, “wall to wall.” Lay cheese slices on top of buttered 

toast, neatly, evenly. In a small bowl, stir together the celery and the scallions. Microplane the 

garlic into the celery mixture.

Dress with olive oil, lemon juice and salt, and stir very well, until completely dressed, almost wet 

with dressing. Mound the shaved celery salad evenly on top of the blue-cheese toasts, and 

grind black pepper over them very generously. Cut each in half or quarters.

**Lest anyone believe that I make this for breakfast, let me set you straight. I don't. To me, this is cooking, and if it can't be thrown in a toaster with six atoms of brain power it isn't going to happen. I love it as part of a late lunch or an app before dinner..

Katie Meadow

Katie Meadow

@Anna N and anyone else who likes blue cheese toast, try this. GH is so fastidious I'm a little surprised she instructs you to slice the Cambazola. It isn't very sliceable in my house, even when cold. So I pay no attention to that. Also I don't bother with the microplane for the garlic, jus squeeze a bit into mix. Other types of blue cheese could probably be subbed, and we won't tell her. It's very yummy.

GABRIELLE HAMILTON’S CELERY TOAST

2 slices country white Pullman bread, 1/2-inch thick

Sweet butter

4 ounces Cambozola triple-cream blue cheese, sliced, divided evenly between two toasts

1 cup shaved celery, from the inner head, toughouter stalks removed, thinly sliced on the bias

2 scallions, thinly sliced on bias all the way up from the white through the green

1 large clove garlic

Extra-virgin olive oil

Lemon juice

Kosher salt

Several grinds black pepper

Toast the bread to golden. Butter generously, “wall to wall.” Lay cheese slices on top of buttered 

toast, neatly, evenly. In a small bowl, stir together the celery and the scallions. Microplane the 

garlic into the celery mixture.

Dress with olive oil, lemon juice and salt, and stir very well, until completely dressed, almost wet 

with dressing. Mound the shaved celery salad evenly on top of the blue-cheese toasts, and 

grind black pepper over them very generously. Cut each in half or quarters.