• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

shain

shain

25 minutes ago, kayb said:

Oooohhh. Cantaloupe jam. As much as I love good ripe cantaloupe, this prospect fascinates me. Details?

I made it last summer with a disappointing melon that smelled great but wasn't sweet.

500g peeled melon, finely diced

150-200g sugar

Optional: a few sprigs of rosemary

Optional: rose water (strength varies, add to taste)

Cook down the melon, sugar and rosemary.

Add rosewater off heat.

Jar and store refrigerated.

Serve at room temp.

I really liked it with ricotta, less so plain (it's very melon forward, it needs some backdrop, and ricotta works well with the rose water).

shain

shain

12 minutes ago, kayb said:

Oooohhh. Cantaloupe jam. As much as I love good ripe cantaloupe, this prospect fascinates me. Details?

I made it last summer with a disappointing melon that smelled great but wasn't sweet.

500g peeled melon, finely diced

150-200g sugar

Optional: a few sprigs of rosemary

Optional: rose water (strength varies, add to taste)

Cook down the melon, sugar and rosemary.

Add rosewater off heat.

Jar and store refrigerated.

Serve room temp.

I really liked it with ricotta, less so plain (it's very melon forward, it needs some backdrop, and ricotta works well with the rose water).