• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

kayb

kayb

14 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

Leftover pizza for the appliance challenged:

We don't have a toaster oven. We don't have a CSO or any countertop oven. We do make our own pizza in our only oven using a steel. But if I am eating leftover pizza for breakfast it is out of the question to wait an hour to heat up a couple of slices. Believe it or not, we use the toaster. Just stick in a slice, pointy end up, and a couple of minutes later crispy melty pizza almost as good as the night before. One caveat. We don't make loaded pizzas, but rather thin-crust minimalist style with modest amount of tomato sauce and mozz and one additional veg topping. I would think twice about toasting pizza that was topped with a zillion things and a ton of cheese. Also a medium to large slice will stick up beyond the slot and the tip will get warmed at  best. No way a deal-breaker for a slice of excellent pizza in three minutes. You do need to monitor the temp and get a feel for the timing to make sure your cheese isn't getting dangerously drippy. Also I suppose your toaster should be a relaxed one with wide slots and not one that has a death-grip on whatever goes in it. 

FWIW -- you can turn the toaster on its side so the topping side of the pizza will be up. If you do this, you need to make sure the slots are not facing the edge of the cabinet so your pizza will not go in the floor. Not that I know this from experience or anything.

kayb

kayb

12 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

Leftover pizza for the appliance challenged:

We don't have a toaster oven. We don't have a CSO or any countertop oven. We do make our own pizza in our only oven using a steel. But if I am eating leftover pizza for breakfast it is out of the question to wait an hour to heat up a couple of slices. Believe it or not, we use the toaster. Just stick in a slice, pointy end up, and a couple of minutes later crispy melty pizza almost as good as the night before. One caveat. We don't make loaded pizzas, but rather thin-crust minimalist style with modest amount of tomato sauce and mozz and one additional veg topping. I would think twice about toasting pizza that was topped with a zillion things and a ton of cheese. Also a medium to large slice will stick up beyond the slot and the tip will get warmed at  best. No way a deal-breaker for a slice of excellent pizza in three minutes. You do need to monitor the temp and get a feel for the timing to make sure your cheese isn't getting dangerously drippy. Also I suppose your toaster should be a relaxed one with wide slots and not one that has a death-grip on whatever goes in it. 

FWIW -- you can turn the toaster on its side so the topping side of the pizza will be up. If you do this, you need to make sure the slots are not facing the edge of the cabinet so your pizza will go in the floor. Not that I know this from experience or anything.