• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Richmond VA Restaurant Information

Kim Shook

• 2 years later...
7 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

This is my favorite bakery in Richmond.  We go as often as possible.  

Kim, I had seen your posts about the bakery a few times. Didn’t know if you had seen the video.

• Thanks 1

On 12/28/2022 at 11:40 AM, Steve R. said:

Anyone been to Stella's?

Stella's is excellent.  We've been really lucky with various Mediterranean restaurants in Richmond, but Stella's is the old standard.  There's a place I grew up going to in Alexandria and when I went there on a trip a few years ago and mentioned that I'd moved to Richmond, the owner said, "I'm glad you still love us after going to Stella's - she's the best!".  

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

As Kim said, “Stella’s is excellent”.  We sat at the bar & had a great time talking to the 2 bartenders (Morgan & Mike) about the upcoming NFL game (Dallas vs Brady’s Tampa).  Although they were split on rooting interest, I was hoping that both could lose.  Well, at least Brady wound up going down.

At any rate, everything we ate was well above the level we are used to in this price range and environment (really nicely done place).  Over many years in NYC, I’ve managed to find some upper end more expensive Greek places that are excellent &, yes, there are quite a few other places, especially in Astoria, that are well worth going to.  However, this was smack in the middle of those 2 categories and well appreciated.  Especially good was my “small plate” of smelts.  The portion was large enough to be a main dish if ordered with a side (all the apps. seemed to be sharable by 2-3 reasonably hungry folks).  The smelts were very cleanly fried.  I was a little surprised that the serving was not a bunch of the very small variety, but were a plate full of large fish. Very meaty, fresh and tasty.  We’ve found another place to love.

Edited by Steve R. (log)
  • Like 2

So happy that you enjoyed Stella's.  I love so how much of a neighborhood place it is.  When you are there, you can tell that the servers and bar staff know a lot of the folks.  I can honestly say we'd definitely be regulars if we lived nearby.  Glad to know that the smelts are good.  I invariably get the octopus or the saganaki, but I'll try them the next time.  So funny what you say about the football game.  We were feeling the exact same sentiments that day.  Being a lifelong Washington fan, I could hardly root for the Cowboys, but it was fun seeing Brady the Brat lose!  

• 3 weeks later...

So much so that we’ve pretty much decided to go back again when we pass thru Richmond heading home to NYC on 3/1 & 3/2.  This time we have 2 dinners (& 1 day of touring Richmond), so we’ll hit Stella’s and probably Edo’s Squid.  L’Opossum’s menu reminds me how hit and miss our dinner was several years ago & we’re not going to do bbq either.  We did hear that the owners of Edo’s Squid have opened another place — any idea on that one?

Edited by Steve R. (log)

6 hours ago, Steve R. said:

So much so that we’ve pretty much decided to go back again when we pass thru Richmond heading home to NYC on 3/1 & 3/2.  This time we have 2 dinners (& 1 day of touring Richmond), so we’ll hit Stella’s and probably Edo’s Squid.  L’Opossum’s menu reminds me how hit and miss our dinner was several years ago & we’re not going to do bbq either.  We did hear that the owners of Edo’s Squid have opened another place — any idea on that one?

Ed Vasaio (the owner of Edo's Squid) is quite a Richmond character.  Many people have reported bad service at some of his restaurants over the years, though I've never witnessed it.  I somehow never ate at his restaurant Mamma 'Zu (the name is an homage to his mom) and it is closed now, so I lost out on that reportedly incredible experience.  He grew up in the restaurant business in DC (I grew up going to his family's A.V. Ristorante - so many great memories).  But he's opened a place called Dinamo and it is excellent.  I would probably give Edo's a slight edge over Dinamo.  

• 1 month later...

Just to close the loop & say that we, indeed, ate at both Stella's and Edo's Squid for our 2 dinners in Richmond on the way back home to NYC last week.  Both were as good as they were before and both would be on our regular rotation if they were in Bklyn.  

As an aside, I'm not sure about the overall wine pricing at Edo's Squid, but I was impressed to find a Ridge 3 Valleys red for $54.  We are very sure that the retail price is in the $30s, as we buy it pretty regularly.  It went very well with the oyster stew, the veal dish & the eggplant parm.  Aside #2: the cannoli are some of the best I've had, Brooklyn & Sicily included.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1