• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Continuous internal temperature sous vide turkey breast

mjbarnard

I cooked two turkey breasts sous vide. This year had access to the Meater+ thermometer probe which I managed to vacuum seal in the bag without difficulty (it is small). Since it works wirelessly I was able to monitor and it records the internal temperatures at the thickest part of the breast.

I thought the results were interesting. I cooked at 60C for 8 hours. I have always used https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/a-better-way-to-turkey-cook-that-bird-sous-vide-for-the-best-feast-ever which gives long cooking times at lower temperature. I have found that as according to this page https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/11/sous-vide-turkey-breast-crispy-skin-recipe-thanksgiving.html that 55C gives turkey which is just a little too pink for most tastes. Over the last few years have increased the temperature up to 59/60 and I find it perfect - very moist and tender, but pale not pink.

See attached images. I changed my mind a couple of times and started at 58 then 60 then 59 again, so ignore the slight variations. The thing I found interesting was that the thickest part (of a large breast) reached 55C in around 1 hour 40 mins and target of 59 in 2 hours 30 mins. Now I appreciate that sous vide is a combination of temperature and time or duration, but the data make me think that around 4 hours would be sufficient, as per the seriouseats table. I have previously used the chefsteps 55-58 for their much longer advised times, up to 12 hours and the meat is still quite pink at the end, so I dont believe 55 for 12 hours would effectively be the same.

From now on I will watching the internal temperatures with interest. This has always been the (relative) unkown for sous vide amateurs. 

file.png

file1.png

Edited by mjbarnard
Timings clarified. (log)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

@mjbarnard

very nice work 

Ive done 142.5 ( 61.4 C ) for some time now , as 140  ( 60 C ) wasn't quire right for me and 145 F too high , w too much jus in the bag

I find that 6 hours works well , as i do not think the extra hour or so matters at these temps.

next TB   im going to give your 60 C temp a try , again 6 hours as its an easy number to remember

and i don't think matters in the Final Slice of the TB.

more time w 6 H for " Fluid Balance Therapy  "  and other stuff that really doesnt matter much

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

i don't have one of the probes

may be one would put the probe in a bag and seal that bag 

then use that bag in the bag w the turkey ?

lots of bags , best to write this down w a diagram 

In the early days of SV probes were stuck through the plastic back with a self sealing foam tape. Sort of like what you use on a door to keep out the wind.

I have stuck in a long probe through the end of an unsealed bag that is clamped to the water bath. Works nicely too.

But I REALLY want this meater thingy.

I also remember that

@PedroG  

did stunning work way back when w this.

i have an exceptional coffee roaster

no details , thank you very much.

very digital.   one can take a USB 2 or so Feed into acomputer

mac's much better on the feed

and watch all sorts of stuff going on :

drum temp   ( its a drum roaster drunk.jpeg.615d4207650fedfa15250f0f486c375e.jpeg}

air temp in the roaster   

bean temp  

whats on CNN  etc

right there on you comp screen !

this would have very interesting not that long ago

I prefer to taste the results  , more or less

Viv a Viv  ( or what ever )    I just keep track

in a Red engineering book

the final temp results 

and enjoy that way.

at some point , the data that is important

is the data,  not so much on your plate , nor the fork or spoon or wha ever you 

use for transport  to the Data Center that Matters :

your mouth.

no worries :

M.R. soon enough

but , Fun is Fun  , For Sure !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, FeChef said:

The meater probe is not waterproof. Its a very bad idea to put the probe inside the bag as there will be a lot of juices in there. Sorry i couldn't get past that so i didn't read the rest of your post.

You are correct it is water resistant not waterproof. So they are happy for it to be wet - have checked. Doesnt really matter because not a lot of juices circulating widely in a  proper vacuum sealed bag until it is opened. At least not enough to compromise the outer part of the probe. It worked perfectly and by their own information the really sensitive part of the probe is the tip which conveys the continuous data stream. Think of it like getting your water resistant watch wet in the rain, but not soaked.

I will start recording all the data from different meats now. Instead of almost spamming with different threads I will put all the data from different meats in one new thread. I have accumulated 3 anova's over the past 5 years so plenty of opportunity.

To the others : someone else asked for the link, but I wasnt sure if a new member could post direct links to products so I deleted the post. It is the meater plus, easily googled and in my opinion works well. If the mods approve I will post the USA store links.

Edited by mjbarnard
clarification (log)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, mjbarnard said:

Doesnt really matter because not a lot of juices circulating widely in a  proper vacuum sealed bag until it is opened.

Not my experience at all. I often have lots of water inside the bag. Depends on the volume of meat I'm cooking, but several fluid ounces usually.

1 hour ago, mjbarnard said:

You are correct it is water resistant not waterproof. So they are happy for it to be wet - have checked.

I think they mean it can handle a moist enviroment like a smoker with a water pan. I doubt they meant for it to be put basicly into a puddle. But by all means, keep doing it, just make sure to come back to this thread and let us know when it dies.