• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

mjbarnard

mjbarnard

clarification

5 hours ago, FeChef said:

The meater probe is not waterproof. Its a very bad idea to put the probe inside the bag as there will be a lot of juices in there. Sorry i couldn't get past that so i didn't read the rest of your post.

You are correct it is water resistant not waterproof. So they are happy for it to be wet - have checked. Doesnt really matter because not a lot of juices circulating widely in a  proper vacuum sealed bag until it is opened. At least not enough to compromise the outer part of the probe. It worked perfectly and by their own information the really sensitive part of the probe is the tip which conveys the continuous data stream. Think of it like getting your water resistant watch wet in the rain, but not soaked.

I will start recording all the data from different meats now. Instead of almost spamming with different threads I will put all the data from different meats in one new thread. I have accumulated 3 anova's over the past 5 years so plenty of opportunity.

To the others : someone else asked for the link, but I wasnt sure if a new member could post direct links to products so I deleted the post. It is the meater plus, easily googled and in my opinion works well. If the mods approve I will post the USA store links.

mjbarnard

mjbarnard

5 hours ago, FeChef said:

The meater probe is not waterproof. Its a very bad idea to put the probe inside the bag as there will be a lot of juices in there. Sorry i couldn't get past that so i didn't read the rest of your post.

You are correct it is water resistant not waterproof. So they are happy for it to be wet - have checked. Doesnt really matter because not a lot of juices circulating widely in a  proper vacuum sealed bag until it is opened. At least not enough to compromise the outer part of the probe. It worked perfectly and by their own information the really sensitive part of the probe is the tip which conveys the continuous data stream. Sorry you couldnt get past that. 

I will start recording all the data from different meats now. Instead of almost spamming with different threads I will put all the data from different meats in one new thread. I have accumulated 3 anova's over the past 5 years so plenty of opportunity.

To the others : someone else asked for the link, but I wasnt sure if a new member could post direct links to products so I deleted the post. It is the meater plus, easily googled and in my opinion works well. If the mods approve I will post the USA store links.