• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Glazing with neutral glaze

Rajala

So, I've done a few mousse cakes in my life with the so called mirror glaze technique, and it works all fine. I'm kind of getting sick of that and want to try something else, like glazing with a neutral glaze to get a different style to the cake. However, using neutral glaze isn't as forgiving as a mirror glaze.

This is the ingredients for my neutral glaze;

393 grams sugar

393 water

14 gram pectin nh

197 gram glucose

3 gram citric acid

Pouring it over a frozen mousse will make it freeze instantly. I've added 10% water when heating up the neutral glaze, based on what I've read. But it still doesn't work out well.

I've tried spraying with an airbrush - which works well, but I'm thinking that there might be better ways.

What are your experiences?

The neutral glaze I use is two parts water to 1 part sugar, and 1/5th pectin.  Boil for a couple of minutes and store until needed or use right away after cooling some.  Have you tried it without the citric acid?  Acids will start to set the pectin before you have a chance to use it.

Have you thought about utilizing a simple gelatine-type neutral glaze instead of pectin based?  Gelatine  glazes usually give you a little bit more time to spread and smooth over the entremet before it sets up completely.

Another option is to use the same condensed milk mirror glaze you've most likely been using. Omit the chocolate from the recipe. Add vanilla bean and use at around 25 degrees C as there's no chocolate to help it set. Happy new year!

Always speak your mind. Those who mind don't matter and those who matter won't mind.

11 hours ago, Merry Berry said:

The neutral glaze I use is two parts water to 1 part sugar, and 1/5th pectin.  Boil for a couple of minutes and store until needed or use right away after cooling some.  Have you tried it without the citric acid?  Acids will start to set the pectin before you have a chance to use it.

Have you thought about utilizing a simple gelatine-type neutral glaze instead of pectin based?  Gelatine  glazes usually give you a little bit more time to spread and smooth over the entremet before it sets up completely.

I haven't. All the recipes I've seen have citric acid. But I could try without. I always thought it was necessary to change the pH level in the mass. A gelatine type would work as well. Will check if I can find any recipes. Thank you!

39 minutes ago, Drewman said:

Another option is to use the same condensed milk mirror glaze you've most likely been using. Omit the chocolate from the recipe. Add vanilla bean and use at around 25 degrees C as there's no chocolate to help it set. Happy new year!

But what about the condensed milk? That would not make it very transparent? 🤔 Happy new year!