• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Electric Meat Slicers

Chris Amirault

22 hours ago, palo said:

Important considerations:

Blade size - 8 inch minimum

200 - 300 watts ?

Most important - your purpose (use it a few times then it collects dust) - cleaning is a major chore which often dictates the frequency of use - slicing cheese? not all slicers will do it

It's like a food processor - great tool, but would you drag it out to chop an onion?

p

Okay i see what you mean, i think i will use it pretty often maybe once or twice a week. And it's true that i'm not really good with a knife when i have to cut big product pieces of meat or even my vegetables, i was thinking that i could use it on my butternut or sweet potatoes, it's will be more safer for me ahaha. Thank you for your adivce

ya i'm the same, not to good with a knife, just need practice... or a slicer 😂. but thanks all for your help.

Hey update finnally i was able to find a few websites that helped me to choose, https://trancheuses-electriques.fr/. Like this one helped me understand how the electric slicer work and how choose one. with all the criterias it's was not easy, but i got it, the most important it's the power, the size of the blade, and the type of blade. So for me i decided to take electric slicer Ostba, i think it's enough and i'm not gona cut really big chunk of meat, it's pretty light so i can move it easely and put it in my closet if necessary. I just have it since a few days so we will see in a few weeks. I will keep you updated if it's was a good choice. Thanks again. 

Edited by Mike.12lu (log)

4 hours ago, Mike.12lu said:

Okay i see what you mean, i think i will use it pretty often maybe once or twice a week. And it's true that i'm not really good with a knife when i have to cut big product pieces of meat or even my vegetables, i was thinking that i could use it on my butternut or sweet potatoes, it's will be more safer for me ahaha. Thank you for your adivce

Those veg are pretty hard, otherwise I'd suggest a mandolin for vegetables

• Like 2

I have a cheap slicer with a serrated blade. I wanted it for very thin slices of cheese and salami. I hate that I spend a lot on plastic packaged pre-sliced cheese. Pull it out now and again. The slices are passable and I don't think it is much faster than a knife. It also needs some technique like a knife. I confess that holding the food in my hand works better than the pusher, which of course is more dangerous. Wish I had a good deli counter.

• Like 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

Sure i tought about a mandolin but i think that i'm more so gona cut meat and ham, than the veg will be just a bonus if i'm able to cut them with my slicer. And i'm a little bit the same i'm trying to avoid all this plastic and i also notice that when you buy big chunk of meat or cheese it's a lot less expensive.