• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How exact are Cvap ovens?

Rasmus

Purely speculation but steaming a steak at almost any temperature is going to still need to be put on a hotplate of some sort to sear it to not only "improve" its flavor but to improve its look. (like SV)

Surely the demographic you are talking about is not going to do that?

Perhaps if you are able to add something to the steam to improve the outside texture (akin to what smoking does)

Or perhaps your oven could be an automated steam then hot plate type?

I have seen a commercial oven with a hated "hotplate" shelf specifically designed to cook steak very quickly. Worked superbly. I can still taste that steak....

Be kind first.

Be nice.

(If you don't know the difference then you need to do some research)

10 minutes ago, Bernie said:

Purely speculation but steaming a steak at almost any temperature is going to still need to be put on a hotplate of some sort to sear it to not only "improve" its flavor but to improve its look. (like SV)

Surely the demographic you are talking about is not going to do that?

Perhaps if you are able to add something to the steam to improve the outside texture (akin to what smoking does)

Or perhaps your oven could be an automated steam then hot plate type?

I have seen a commercial oven with a hated "hotplate" shelf specifically designed to cook steak very quickly. Worked superbly. I can still taste that steak....

I think Cvaps often use convection heat to brown the surface, which is one option. But our machine has a built in induction stove, so though the user has to cook it in two steps, they can sear the steak in the same machine as well.

8 hours ago, gfweb said:

That’s been the conjecture here. Their website has listed it as discontinued. Perhaps they are planning one with a microwave that will fit a 1/4 sheet pan!

Ha, maybe. Why is the 1/4 sheet the key? I mean, why that exact measurement?

5 minutes ago, Rasmus said:

Ha, maybe. Why is the 1/4 sheet the key? I mean, why that exact measurement?

Its a size we all have several of and many baking dishes are about that size and neither fits in the Cuisinart Steam Oven.  Not a huge problem, but if it could be avoided...

Just now, gfweb said:

Its a size we all have several of and many baking dishes are about that size and neither fits in the Cuisinart Steam Oven.  Not a huge problem, but if it could be avoided...

Is it a US standard?