• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

KennethT

KennethT

4 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Knives in a carry-on?  No.  

I did this once!! It was long before 9/11 and was my first time to Paris. I bought a chef's knife and a paring knife from Dehillerin but I was afraid of it getting damaged in the checked luggage so I figured it would be safest in my carry-on. They had corks on the tips and the package was wrapped at the store. Going through security, the guy x-raying my bag stops and looks at me and says - sir, take the knife out of the bag! It was then an amusing 10 minute conversation testing my barely passable French trying to explain my logic of why I have an ,8" knife in my carry-on. Anyway, they determined I was stupid but harmless and they allowed me to check the knives at the gate. Of course, what happened? British Airways put the knife package in a box with no packing material, so when I got home I realized that the chef's knife 's tip got bent as it rolled around the box. Completely my fault for being an idiot and not putting it in my checked luggage (surrounded by clothes) in the first place.

KennethT

KennethT

4 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Knives in a carry-on?  No.  

I did this once!! It was long before 9/11 and was my first time to Paris. I bought a chef's knife and a pearing knife from Dehillerin but I was afraid of it getting damaged in the checked luggage so I figured it would be safest in my carry-on. They had corks on the tips and the package was wrapped at the store. Going through security, the guy x-raying my bag stops and looks at me and says - sir, take the knife out of the bag! It was then an amusing 10 minute conversation testing my barely passable French trying to explain my logic of why I have an ,8" knife in my carry-on. Anyway, they determined I was stupid but harmless and they allowed me to check the knives at the gate. Of course, what happened? British Airways put the knife package in a box with no packing material, so when I got home I realized that the chef's knife 's tip got bent as it rolled around the box. Completely my fault for being an idiot and not putting it in my checked luggage (surrounded by clothes) in the first place.