• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lampreia

I've only eaten there once, a few years ago. It was easily one of the best meals I've had in Seattle. I didn't take any notes so I can't recall what the hell we ate, but I remember it being not overly complex, nicely ballanced, clean flavors, artfully minimalist presentation. The service was very European - friendly and attentive, but not overly so or pushy - and the general atmosphere was formal, but relaxed. I've heard some people complain the service is cold and uptight and the chef has big ego and is dismissive of diners requests, but we had no problem with staff behavior or with letting the chef serve dishes as he felt best.

I tried to make a reservation unsuccessfully recently. It was the chef who answered the phone. At the end of the conversation he said "Thank you for thinking of us." A small thing, but it left an impression, and I intend to eat there someday soon.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

It has been on my list for a long time.

I think that the stories of the crazy chef need to be taken in context.

I doubt any eGulleteer would have any trouble at Lampreia.

Now, a self-important blonde-dyed yuppie that eats there because it is expensive might get miffed when the chef won't accomodate "no butter" in a certain dish.

Ben

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

We have been once - more than a year ago. The evening was memorable only for the very snooty waiter and the rather substantial bill. I do not recall what we had but we left vowing not to return.

Admittedly, this is not a fair evaluation. Our general rule is to try a restaurant three times before deciding its merits. I would be very interested to know any recent experiences.

I ate there a few years ago. I had the duck and my date had the chicken. Although the duck was extremely tasty with a good sauce, I was very disappointed with its size. My date's food was quite bland. It was the organic chicken? She didn't want to order something too expensive. The bill was still quite hefty in the end.

Edited by Eat_eat_eat (log)

welcome, Eat!

IMHO one should not go to Lampreia looking to 'have something not too expensive'. This is one of those places where you know up front its gonna cost and you order whatever you want or even let the chef bring out what they think is fabulous. This is a 'special occasion' type of place, a place for splurging, not being conservative.

That being said, I too have heard the stories of the nazi chef and his nervous staff. Doesn't sound like a pleasant working environment!

Born Free, Now Expensive

IMHO one should not go to Lampreia looking to 'have something not too expensive'. This is one of those places where you know up front its gonna cost and you order whatever you want or even let the chef bring out what they think is fabulous. This is a 'special occasion' type of place, a place for splurging, not being conservative.

That sort of answers my question. I have no problem letting the chef take control of what I'm eating. I knew the place was expensive (for splurging). I wanted to know if the price justified the food. I don't mind small plates-- if the food takes me off somewhere . . .

Malarkey, have you eaten there? I would be curious to know what you had.

I have not eaten there, but know many who have. they all said the food was sublime, even those who weren't entirely happy with the ambiance of the place. I would imagine the food is tasting portion size. I also know someone who went there and ordered all appetizers. if YOU go, let us know :smile:

Born Free, Now Expensive

• 10 months later...

I have recently moved to New York but in the past was a frequent flyer at Lampreia. I don't think there is another restaurant in Seattle that takes food more seriously than Lampreia.

Scott Carsberg, chef/owner of Lampreia is an odd guy: obsessive, can be prickly, has a very strange sense of humor. He's an artist. He seldom leaves the restaurant. He demands perfection from himself, his suppliers and his staff. I guess what I'm trying to say is that all of the oddities that people in this thread have noted occur as by-products of making pretty transcendent food.

Also, enough with the small portions nonsense. Forgive me. . . If you judge food by quantity, well TGI Fridays comes to mind. I've never left Lampriea hungry. The small plates allow you to eat rich food, an app, entree, cheese and dessert and go home not feeling sick. If you just get an entree, that's not really what the place is about.

I often get two or three appetizers and skip the main course. Scott does most of his best magic with appetizers. If you have a deep pocket and eat there on a not so busy night, ask him if he'll do you a tasting menu. He once did this for me and it's a meal I'll never forget.

Finally, the waitstaff do seem a little stiff. Don't worry. You don't have to be. There's humor underneath the veneer. Also, they are certainly very informative about what is often tricky food. Scott's zealotry is infectious, the waitstaff is reverent about the food and the experience because he is.

Happy eating.

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

My husband and I ate there last year and came away with different opinions (which is somewhat unusual for us as far as food/atmosphere is concerned).

I really enjoyed it and appreciated the formality of the service (a very nice change from waitstaff who ask "What can I get for you-guyses to drink?" ) and I'm a big fan of small plates versus one humongous main course.

My husband thought a couple of the plates were simply TOO small...ie one lonely shrimp on a plate albeit beautifully presented.

I suggest you just go and see for yourself, as there seems to be a variety of opinions on this board and elsewhere.

Tonight, however, it's a sure-thing for us...The Herbfarm! It will be our third visit and yes, it's very expensive, and yes, the cancellation policy makes one fearful of coming down with the flu or something...but I think the setting, service, quality and imagination of the chef make it worth every penny.

Just my 2 cents worth!

We have eaten at Lampreia several times over the years, the last a bit less than a year ago. The food is superbly done. With every dish we say, “That was really nice.” At the end of the meal we don’t leave hungry, but we are not truly satisfied either. I guess we admire this food more than truly enjoy it.

I took my wife there in May for her birthday. We were the first diners there and for half of our meal.

I thought the food was very good - obviously there was a tremendous amount of attention paid to each preperation. It is very European I suppose, in the small plates, successive courses with palate cleansers.

The service was stuffy but in a manner that was completely expected and appreciated for this kind of meal. Each course was described in detail, the soup was poured at the table (which I have seen at Cascadia one block away recently.) and the cheese course was presented as secret treasures to select from.

overall I thought it was worth the price but certainly a special-occasion type of place for the likes of me.

I think fussying over price can be downright depressing since with many things, dining is a diminishing return type of experience: spending progressively more money only gives you slightly better experience but that is often the cost of going that high.

• 7 months later...

Hello people of the NW...

I am from the other Washington....the one with too many Bushes.

Anyways, made it out to Seattle and Bainbridge for a great friend's wedding.

Before we headed over to the island, me and 3 others had a fantastic meal at lampreia. 8 courses, great wines and a leisurely and memorable meal. OUr service was excellent too.

I had head so much about lampreia, being in the restaurant business myself, and my expectations were not disappointed.

Wonder if any of you have had more recent experiences at this Belltown jewel?

Also....recap.

other meals while in Seattle....lunch in the park adjacent to Pike Place market, eating cheeses, mortadella, a spanish chorizo, a nice red wine and a sauternes that we picked up from the italian market (delavonti's????). very beautiful sunday.

also, a disappointment of sorts was my Seattle sushi experience at Maneki. The pieces of fish on the rice was way too big. the rolls were ok...

Nothing quite like a meal with my beautiful wife.

P.S. I'm a huge fan of the chef now as when my friend and I asked for a cab to be called he came to the door and said he'd walk us out.

No cab in sight he proceeded to whistle one down...across the street with no intention of making a u-turn.

Scott literally walked us to the cab...had a nice chat with him along the way...he's way cool in my book !

Hi,

I had the pleasure of dining at Lampreia a little over a year ago with my girlfriend (who is an absolute die hard fan). Easily one of the most unique and fantastic dining experiences I've had. Scott Carsberg is a genius. The presentation is nothing but class, which could be interpreted as snooty, although, it didn't bother us. We enjoyed a fine meal and after the meal Scott came out and talked to us for a few minutes. I know the reviews on this restaurant are polarized, I think that may have to do with the price, but this place is totally worth it. Just know before you go, it is pricey but it is soooooo worth it.

the meal i had was expensive; but anyone who goes to one of these places and complains about the prices is somewhat foolish. you should know what to expect.

our food was beautifully plated. refined. minimalist. and it tasted wonderful.

foodie girl our tasting menu was based off of the regular menu. the chef just sent courses out to the table. we never even looked at the menu.

Nothing quite like a meal with my beautiful wife.

expensive but worth every penny. i agree with a previous post re: scott carsberg's genius way with food. he may be tempermental, over the top, and effusive at times but the best usually are.

service is kind of cold at times but somewhat refreshing. i really don't ever need to know my server's name, nor do they need to know mine. i'm there to enjoy the food, not make new friends.

go. enjoy. you will not be disappointed. broke, perhaps, but you can always make more money.

lemony