• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Storing liquor

ChrisChan

i couldn't find much info on stored liquor, especially opened bottles and Monins that go with it.  I hope someone can enlighten me on these...as i was given these some 1 year plus ago.  I have kept it in freezer for a while after leaving it in the open shelf for about 3-4 months.

frozen.jpg

I've read that it's changes in temperature  - from hot to cold and then hot again and cold again - that deteriorates whiskeys and similar products. 

So it seems like constant temperature and away from sunlight for some alcohol. 

I'm guessing a cool place might have some relevance too (like wine) 

Time changes beer and wine. The fresher fruit flavors in wine and similar flavors in beer also will fade. But time will also take out harsh bitterness and soften up the flavor. 

The high sugar drinks (such as above) might be stored differently also. If it's a bunch of artificial sweeteners, the flavor might withstand temperature changes, sunlight, etc. ??? (my guess)  

Throw everything away except the bitters.

Then start over.  With real booze, which you then shan't keep in either the refrigerator or freezer. 

In my opinion, it doesn't matter where you store the stuff in your picture.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

• 3 weeks later...

Spirits can last for a long time.   The higher the proof the better.   Low fills may benefit from being put in a smaller bottle to reduce surface air interaction.   But I have recently been killing old low fills (granted they are pretty high proof) and they are just fine