• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

scott123

scott123

Since it's already Christmas morning, I'm guessing this answer won't be much help, but, for future reference, because of their additional ingredients, enriched doughs have a tendency towards a somewhat weak gluten structure.  Fermentation weakens dough. A good enriched dough recipe will give the dough just enough proofing to make it light and airy, and no more.  For this reason, I wouldn't add additional fermentation to an existing enriched dough recipe.

scott123

scott123

Since it's already Christmas morning, I'm guessing this answer won't be much help, but, for future reference, because of their additional ingredients, enriched breads have a tendency towards a somewhat weak gluten structure.  Fermentation weakens dough. A good enriched dough recipe will give the dough just enough proofing to make it light and airy, and no more.  For this reason, I wouldn't add additional fermentation to an existing enriched dough recipe.