• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sign in to follow this  
hvea

Coloring cocoa butter with chocolate

Hello,

I am trying to create some no-dye chocolates; just to offer as an option.

What I have in mind is to color the cocoa butter using ruby and gold chocolate, and then spray with a larger nozzle. Do you have any suggestions for the mixture ratio? Do you find it useful to color the cocoa butter this way? does it work?

I just wanted to ask before trying and wasting a lot of resource, so thanks for your understanding :)

It works fine. I've always thought of it more as thinning the chocolate with additional cocoa butter than coloring the cocoa butter with chocolate but it ends up in the same place whichever way you say it. You don't need to waste a lot of resource to try it. Just combine a little melted chocolate and cocoa butter until you get a consistency that will spray easily then spray a cavity or three and see if you like the result. I wish I had a specific ratio to give you, that would probably sound much more professional, but I honestly have never measured it out that precisely.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Are you spraying large finished pieces as with a flocking effect or decorating bonbon molds? For the former, a 50/50 mix is usually recommended. You could try the same for bonbons, or just paint the contrasting chocolate manually and undiluted with a finger or paintbrush. 

I’ve only sprayed the 50/50 mix with a Wagner paint sprayer, have not tried it with my Grex airbrush. 

Sign in to follow this