• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pipli?

Adam Balic

You come up to Edinburgh and I will cook. My new SMEG even has an automated extra long spit, so we won't have to put you on little treadmill - unless you want to.

Edit: Actually could be fun. Not the costume bit though, the last thing I want to seen is Gavin in tights and his Golden (be)Hind. Period plonk as well. No bubbles. Sack, Malaga, Claret. Have no idea if there are any period white table wines.

Edited by Adam Balic (log)

1/4 Scottish, ah well then, that must me the charming bits.

Do you drink Single Malts? If you are able to come up we could eat, drink and be merry on a night then Visit the Scotch Malt Whisky Society on another.

Single Malts are on my list of Things I Am Relatively Ignorant About But Shouldn't Be. (It's a long list.)

I have to make a visit to Scotland in March  :angry:  :angry:

I am planning on taking in a few distilleries by way of anaesthetic.

Doing a cross country trip from G to E.  What would be the best ones to stop at?

S

Oh, well you simply must come to dinner dear boy. March is good for me.

To my knowledge, everything between G an E is a wasteland, I wouldn't stop of wind down my windows, but I will see if there are any distilleries worth the bother. If not there is always the Whisky Society.

I will do some Historicooking at the end of Feb. when I get payed. Choose your period.

My nominations are

1. 13thC for Pre-Black Death serf-farmed spicebox luxuria

and

2.16thC for the impact of civil war, hundreds of years of fighting the French and a decisive break from Rome.

My nominations: Tonyfinch to play Henry VIII

Simon M Cardinal Wolsey

Adam Francis Bacon

Vanessa Bloody Mary

MissJ Elizabeth I

Kikujiro Erasmus

You mean I get my head chopped off :angry::angry:

By the way - did you bother to join the Scottish Malt Whisky Society (like Adam) - your post some time ago inspired me to look at their site - seemed a great outfit and I nearly bought a gift membership for my boss for Xmas but decided he wasn't quite worth the cost. I have a horror of belonging to clubs of any kind ( :huh: ) but that one appears worth it.

v

Wrong Mary. Good Queen Bessies half sister, not the Froggy-Scot. :smile: She died of a womb tumour (?Gavin?)

Malt Whisky society is very good and not pretentious at all.

I think I'd prefer the beheading to the womb tumour :biggrin: (Please note that I never took history O-Level - hope that excuses the ignorance). So why was she called 'Bloody'?

Malt Whisky Society goes on my list of things to spend money on one day. Maybe when I get round to enroling on the WSET course and I can have the excuse of ending up at their place afterwards. Otherwise, I have no reason at all to be in that part of the City.

v

...with her blessing, as her dad's shift to Protestantism was a direct attempt to produce a son and disinherit her. She never quite got over the slight. :wink:

Edit: hey, did someone say road trip to Edinburgh? In period costume? :wacko:

Edited by Miss J (log)

Note to self: ex-colony type people seem to know more British history than I do.

Well you tend to do a lot of reading about a country you are about to move to. Was a shock for me to find out that many Scots that I work with seem to have no clear understanding of their own history. I am very annoying at work.

A while ago I was stopped in the West End by an American tourist. He pointed at a statue and asked me if I knew who it represented. He had asked numerous local people, including a couple who operated stalls right by it, but nobody could help. I explained that it was Nelson on top of the column.

Returning briefly to the matter of pipli, the Spice Shop in Notting Hill had a couple of bags of Sarawak Long Pepper for sale at lunchtime today (and I don't imagine there'll be a sudden surge in demand). Something like £2.50 for 50g? They'll send a minimum order of £10.

The Spice Shop

clb

A while ago I was stopped in the West End by an American tourist. He pointed at a statue and asked me if I knew who it represented. He had asked numerous local people, including a couple who operated stalls right by it, but nobody could help. I explained that it was Nelson on top of the column.

No, you lie! How shocking. Did they ask who Nelson was? Please, say that you said it was some guy who cuckolded Lord Hamilton and who's last dying wish was to be kissed by a man.

It was the fact that nobody else had been able to tell him that worried me. The tourist knew very well who Nelson was. I find American tourists to be often very knowledgeable and engaged with their destinations. Usually there are a few dining with me in good restaurants in Italy.

Returning briefly to the matter of pipli, the Spice Shop in Notting Hill had a couple of bags of Sarawak Long Pepper for sale at lunchtime today (and I don't imagine there'll be a sudden surge in demand).  Something like £2.50 for 50g?  They'll send a minimum order of £10.

The Spice Shop

clb

Thanks for that! I looked at the web site yesterday and they have Black Sarawak corns and a picture of Long pepper, but no mention of long pepper. Will contact them to make sure that I get the correct item.

Returning briefly to the matter of pipli, the Spice Shop in Notting Hill had a couple of bags of Sarawak Long Pepper for sale at lunchtime today (and I don't imagine there'll be a sudden surge in demand).  Something like £2.50 for 50g?  They'll send a minimum order of £10.

The Spice Shop

clb

Thanks for that! I looked at the web site yesterday and they have Black Sarawak corns and a picture of Long pepper, but no mention of long pepper. Will contact them to make sure that I get the correct item.

A note of caution: I once went into that shop looking for some obscure kind of Indonesian leaves, the name of which I forget. They insisted that these were the same as curry leaves and persuaded me to buy them instead. On getting home and doing a bit of research I found that curry leaves were not at all the same thing.

v

The poor waif was the victum of a classist and patriarcal society. Damn men.

She seemed to do pretty well for a victum. (:wink:) Although it's true her ambition was greatly helped by her celebrated beauty - damn men:

rombacc.jpg

She died in poverty after the deaths of Nelson and William Hamilton.