• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lawry's Seasoned Salt

heidih

38 minutes ago, scubadoo97 said:

it’s the MSG.    It gets a bad rap but it does have an enhancing effect on flavors.    It’s the thing that makes you want to eat the whole bag of chips 

I love it when a friend says she can't eat MSG but will scarf doritos all day long with no ill effects.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

FWIW, Lawry's "Contains no MSG."

you are absolutely correct.  I was thinking it had celery salt in it    

I know Old Bay list celery salt which is high in MSG.   It is not uncommon for ingredient list to state no MSG when it is naturally occurring in some of the ingredients 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, scubadoo97 said:

you are absolutely correct.  I was thinking it had celery salt in it    

I know Old Bay list celery salt which is high in MSG.   It is not uncommon for ingredient list to state no MSG when it is naturally occurring in some of the ingredients 

Yup. And celery has lots of nitrates too. Cured meat sometimes says "no nitrates added" and then has a ton of celery extract.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Anna N said:

Generally speaking you are my chief enabler in terms of edible goods. I am still looking for Progresso clam chowder without much success. But Lawry‘s Seasoned Salt? No. Can’t do it. perhaps for a period in my life it was somewhat overused. The very thought of it and I lose my appetite. But I’m happy that you’re enjoying it. 

Indeed, a little goes a long way.  Probably some weeks before I open the jar again.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I have zero issue with MSG - naturally occuring or added as "the white powder" (but not to become overly in charge)  - but do think there is a celery flavor/odor in Lawry's. Perhaps it is a super low tier level of US spice blend like the wonderful spice mixes in Israel that Swisskaese shared - a back pocket helper.  https://forums.egullet.org/topic/91663-eg-foodblog-swisskaese-the-israeli-table-not-just-felafel-and-or/page/2/  I've always loved that image and concept.gallery_28660_3420_59344.jpg

Edited by heidih (log)

I agree that Lawry's has a celery flavor component.

FULL INGREDIENTS
SALT, SUGAR, SPICES (INCLUDING PAPRIKA AND TURMERIC), ONION, CORNSTARCH, GARLIC, TRICALCIUM PHOSPHATE (PREVENTS CAKING), NATURAL FLAVOR, PAPRIKA OLEORESIN (FOR COLOR). Contains no MSG.

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

29 minutes ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

FULL INGREDIENTS
SALT, SUGAR, SPICES (INCLUDING PAPRIKA AND TURMERIC), ONION, CORNSTARCH, GARLIC, TRICALCIUM PHOSPHATE (PREVENTS CAKING), NATURAL FLAVOR, PAPRIKA OLEORESIN (FOR COLOR). Contains no MSG.

I taste it. 

• Like 1

Anyone with a gas chromatograph?

There probably is celery in there someplace.  At what level would celery have to listed by name as an ingredient?  Besides peanuts my primary use for Lowry's is on corn on the cob.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

30 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Anyone with a gas chromatograph?

There probably is celery in there someplace.  At what level would celery have to listed by name as an ingredient?  Besides peanuts my primary use for Lowry's is on corn on the cob.

In proprietary lists I think only known allergens must be listed. As usual I could be totally wrong ;) 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, btbyrd said:

FWIW, celery salt also contains no MSG.

Correct, as far as it goes. But celery contains naturally-occurring glutamates (like those in mushrooms, seaweeds and other foods) that are chemically similar and have the same flavor-enhancing properties.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

On 12/24/2019 at 7:08 PM, DiggingDogFarm said:

FULL INGREDIENTS

I concur with everyone who says they taste the celery. Lawry's can use the phrase "NATURAL FLAVOR" to describe a lot of herbs and spices and not have to be specific about it. 

• Like 3

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver