• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lawry's Seasoned Salt

heidih

It comes up alot here.  I grew up with it. Do you use it? Do you like it? I am adding it to the shop list. ahttps://www.mccormick.com/lawrys/flavors/spice-blends/seasoned-salt

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawry's_The_Prime_Rib

Edited by Smithy
Corrected title spelling (log)
  • Like 3

Cannot cook without it. Love it on most all meats. Use with some veggies, particularly sauteed squash. Must have for potato salad dressing. 

I buy the big containers from Sam's and refill my hand-sized shaker.

• Like 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

8 minutes ago, kayb said:

Cannot cook without it. Love it on most all meats. Use with some veggies, particularly sauteed squash. Must have for potato salad dressing. 

Ditto!  I use it a LOT.

• Like 2

I think there is celery flavor in it? It is all we ever put on the copious, almost daily,  beef steak and roast. (Males had a tendency to walk up to the kitchen door and say - wow that smells great - your mom is the best :)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It was the ONLY seasoning in use in my childhood besides regular salt and pepper.  Oh wait, and paprika on the devilled eggs.  

Basically, every.single.thing tasted like lawry's.  

So, basically I hate it and haven't touched the stuff in over thirty years.  It's a ferocious prejudice, I really should force myself to give it a fair taste.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

@SLB  Yup a singular taste. Ditto on the paprika but that went on cucumber w/ sour cream salad as well. Just thought I'd give it a go. If it pains me I'll give it to my sister at Christmas - don't think available "down under"

Have  a large container of it right next to the stove and it gets used. It seems to have a natural affinity towards eggs and potatoes.  And, yes, it was a part of my childhood too.  My mother was a pretty bad cook so a sprinkle of it could only improve things.  Who  know, maybe my kids feel the same way about my cooking?  Sprinkle onward my friends.

• Delicious 1
  • Haha 3

We are big fans of Hy's of Canada Seasoning Salt, but we mainly use it for steaks and patties. There's a non-MSG version, but we don't care which one we get, we like them both. 

I see people use the Lawry's for some salads, eggs, potatoes - anything else? I wonder how different these seasoning salts are in terms of their ingredients. I should check out the Penzey's, I still have a gift card for them. 

IMG_20191222_100426.thumb.jpg.a0d489cdea99e1e88e23bf50da8c6cf0.jpg

IMG_20191222_100440.thumb.jpg.f8deee79560de62fab2dbc079e7e40ce.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, heidih said:

I think there is celery flavor in it? It is all we ever put on the copious, almost daily,  beef steak and roast. (Males had a tendency to walk up to the kitchen door and say - wow that smells great - your mom is the best :)

I detect celery, but it isn't on the ingredient list

• Like 2

8 hours ago, FauxPas said:

We are big fans of Hy's of Canada Seasoning Salt, but we mainly use it for steaks and patties. There's a non-MSG version, but we don't care which one we get, we like them both. 

I see people use the Lawry's for some salads, eggs, potatoes - anything else? I wonder how different these seasoning salts are in terms of their ingredients. I should check out the Penzey's, I still have a gift card for them. 

IMG_20191222_100426.thumb.jpg.a0d489cdea99e1e88e23bf50da8c6cf0.jpg

IMG_20191222_100440.thumb.jpg.f8deee79560de62fab2dbc079e7e40ce.jpg

I enjoy this too.

• Like 1

It was definitely part of childhood.

I still use it as well as Morton's Season-All, which is similar.

They're the cornerstone of an easy BBQ rub.

I can't remember the exact proportions off-hand, but if you mix flour with Lawry's, black pepper and a pinch of nutmeg or mace, you may agree that it's the closest KFC Original clone.

Adjust the ratios to perfection.

Oops! That was supposed to be a secret! :blink:

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

5 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Lawry's graced my peanuts and cashews tonight to accompany my mai tai.  Good stuff.

Generally speaking you are my chief enabler in terms of edible goods. I am still looking for Progresso clam chowder without much success. But Lawry‘s Seasoned Salt? No. Can’t do it. perhaps for a period in my life it was somewhat overused. The very thought of it and I lose my appetite. But I’m happy that you’re enjoying it. 

Edited by Anna N
Typo (log)
  • Haha 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On 12/22/2019 at 10:55 AM, kayb said:

it’s the MSG.    It gets a bad rap but it does have an enhancing effect on flavors.    It’s the thing that makes you want to eat the whole bag of chips 

FWIW, Lawry's "Contains no MSG."

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!