• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ninja Foodi

chileheadmike

Anyone using one of these? My wife ordered one and it came yesterday. Seems that it's an air fryer along with every else imaginable.  It came in a huge box, it's going to have to live in the garage. 

I truly hate the name, but I look forward to playing with it.

• Like 2

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

I didn't realize they had all that. We got this one

https://direct.ninjakitchen.com/16/products/ninja-foodi-grill-ag302/16/microsite/ogxiii/?opt=2

It came with a veggie tray, griddle, skewers, and a chopper. The thing is huge. 

• Like 2

Finally got around to using this thing. Used the air fryer function for chicken wings.  It heated to 390F in about 3 minutes.  I added the wings that were salted earlier.  Per instructions I shook the pan every few minutes.  15 minutes later,  they were done. Pretty crispy but not as crisp as fried.  I used a towel instead of the ridiculous mits that came with it and burned my thumb.  So, back to their mits which did the job. Clean up was pretty easy. 

Wings were done just in time to see the Jayhawks top off.

20191221_115824.jpg

• Like 2

Just now, blue_dolphin said:

Easy to do.  I don't think anyone in that thread ever called it by it's name!

Actually, that isn't the same unit.

Ours is not a pressure cooker, its the grill

https://direct.ninjakitchen.com/16/products/ninja-foodi-grill-ag302/16/microsite/ogxiii/?opt=2

Fail on the chuck roast. The exposed top of the roast was drying out. I was using the probe for an internal temp of 185. Thing shut off at 170, there was no way to increase the internal temp. It's now in the oven. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

I wouldn't think of  Raining  Snowing on any one's Parade

however , over the years , Ive learned this :

there is a lot of cooking stuff out there

the longer the thread @ eGullet on that stuff

the better the stuff is.

just saying.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

I had the Instant Pot over a year ago. Got the Ninja Air fryer for Xmas. That's TWO big units to store. Sold both appliances within a day and bought myself the Ninja Foodie - the pressure cooker and the air fryer. Wasn't sure I would use the Ninja Grill which was also available.
I've had good luck with the Instant Pot and briefly with the air fryer (only tried 2 meals with it). 
Fries took a bit of work. The second time, I used a little more oil (about 2 tbsp), and did them up in 2 batches. Turned out mush better!
I bought a bag of cod cheeks back in Nov from a fish truck travelling from east coast and a cross the prairies. Finally got around to cooking them.
They were coated with New Orleans Fish Fry crumbs, sprayed with Pam and in the air fryer for 5 minutes, flipped for another 5.
They were ok...didn't love them enough for the cost and the piddly work with small piece.

1078152757_CodcheeksFries0679.thumb.jpg.bfa91a90f45a164b8da9ba38bfb1ec0b.jpg

The chicken legs I did before were lovely! The skin was so crispy it was transparent!

1829532852_1stAir-fryermeal0538.thumb.jpg.d7f85349b7cbc35f1b01bfb9a143be49.jpg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I will join you in 'air fryer' love.  It does such a good job on meat.

Fries do take some experimenting.  My latest was to bake the fries which were tossed in a little oil to 1/2 done then into the air fryer to finish them off...works well for timing a meal or if you had guests and wanted to have seconds....or YOU just wanted seconds.

Edited by Okanagancook (log)
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Made a beer batter fish & chips tonight iusing the Ninja Foodi Air Crisp function. The chips turned out great now that I remember to cut the potato smaller.
The fish, pickerel, was dipped in a batter of 1/3 cup beer, 1/4 cup flour, 1 egg white and some thyme and paprika (I omitted those)
The fish was sprayed with Pam but half way. I drizzled oil on them so they'd brown a bit more. Turned out great!
Eaten with green beans sauteed with fuyu, and a curry gravy made with Glico curry cubes.

1633302230_BeerBatterFishChips0739.jpg.547efcba637e7dd061df185b553f5ee5.jpg

• Like 5

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Wings tonight.  I tossed in some flour,  cornstarch,  and a lot of coarsely ground black pepper, then sprayed with pam. After cooking tossed in a mix of half Frank's hot sauce and El Yucateco. 

20200228_223706.jpg

Edited by chileheadmike
Spelling (log)
  • Like 3

• 1 year later...

My good friend and neighbor has mentioned more than once how much she liked her Ninja Foodi.  So, of course, I caved and bought one too.

Well, despite the silly name, this is one very versatile small appliance.

I have made baked potato, grilled chicken, halibut and cod, hamburgers and all kind of vegetables. Fast and efficient with easy clean-up (everything goes in the d/w).    I've only used it as an air fryer once for French fries.

It's this one:  Ninja

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 2