• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate mold alcohol alternative

hvea

Hello,

I have two questions about using alcohol for cleaning the mold and brush splattering/spraying the metallic dusts.

Some of my potential customers are asking for non alcohol chocolates (not just the ingredient but I also shouldn’t use it at any stage) (i know the alcohol completely evaporates but thats not something I can convince them)

1) I have been taught to use alcohol to clean molds. Is there an alternative for this?

2) I have been checking savour online classes. In one of the lessons (chocolate crunch bar) Kirsten Tibbals mix the dust with the alcohol and then splatter it with brush.

is it possible to use cocoa butter / dust mixture and splatter or spray it? what would be the difference?

Thanks!

3 hours ago, hvea said:

1) I have been taught to use alcohol to clean molds. Is there an alternative for this?

is it possible to use cocoa butter / dust mixture and splatter or spray it? what would be the difference?

Just polish with a cotton wool ball and don't use the alcohol, easy.

Spraying metallic suspended in cocoa butter is doable, it just behaves a little differently, probably because you're spraying (relatively) large particles instead of a pure liquid. Give it a try :)

• Like 2

I know for cakes, mixing luster dusts with lemon extract is an alternative for people who do not wish to mix it with vodka or everclear.  Like you said, the alcohol evaporates so it is annoying when people insist on zero alcohol touching something.  

When I have used dusts in the past for chocolates, I use a paint brush or blush applicator to lightly dust the molds and then flip over to knock out any excess.  The molds, even when dry, hold on to plenty of the dust and really, it just takes a light touch of it on the brush to apply.

I would trust what keychris said as well.

There are cases of people who are intolerant to alcohol, so even the smallest trace in food is a treat to their life. So it's better to not make the assumption that all alcohol evaporates: almost all evaporates, but traces are left.

Teo

Teo

8 hours ago, Merry Berry said:

I know for cakes, mixing luster dusts with lemon extract is an alternative for people who do not wish to mix it with vodka or everclear.  Like you said, the alcohol evaporates so it is annoying when people insist on zero alcohol touching something.  

When I have used dusts in the past for chocolates, I use a paint brush or blush applicator to lightly dust the molds and then flip over to knock out any excess.  The molds, even when dry, hold on to plenty of the dust and really, it just takes a light touch of it on the brush to apply.

3 hours ago, JeanneCake said:

if you use an extract, check for alcohol content as some of them can contain anywhere from 15 to 80 percent alcohol (when you paint on fondant, the alcohol evaporates and leaves the color of the paint behind)

Lemon extract is high alcohol, at least 35% or 70 proof!

Agree with straight luster dust in cotton-polished molds or metallic cocoa butter. 

1 hour ago, pastrygirl said:

Lemon extract is high alcohol, at least 35% or 70 proof!

Agree with straight luster dust in cotton-polished molds or metallic cocoa butter. 

Yes, I should have clarified using the glycerin type.  It is the only one I use and forgot the others have alcohol.

• Like 1