• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Are you doing your dishes the wrong way?

Anna N

12 hours ago, gfweb said:

Dawn is Facebook's favorite home remedy for everything.

I will testify to the fact that a 50-50 mix of Dawn and hydrogen peroxide will get red wine out of light tan carpet.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

• 2 weeks later...

I quite like the whole foaming dish soap thing, and find it hilarious how there is a dire warning on the dawn foamer bottle about how you really must only refill it with the special dawn foaming soap, when it's perfectly obvious that said special foaming soap is regular old soap diluted with about 3 parts water.  I just use whatever dishsoap I happen to have and keep refilling the bottle and it's worked fine for many, many months.

• Like 1

I've been doing my dishes the wrong way.  

I finally woke up and realized that while I though it was optimal to run the d/w only when it's full is really wasteful of water because I was hand washing so many things every day.  I would run out of glassware and salad forks and salad plates.  Now I put everything I can in the d/w (no matter how big it is and how much room it takes) and then run it every 2 to 3 days.   I never realized how much extra water I used by hand washing every day and it's much easier on me and my kitchen is much neater.

• Like 5

• 1 year later...
  • Like 1

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

This has been sitting on my kitchen sink for at least 7 years:

IMG_7919.thumb.jpg.eba3edcfeaeb94bacfaa9406cd895cae.jpg

It was originally a large (10-inches tall), pretty hand soap dispenser I found at Marshall's or TJ Maxx.  I do a lot of hand washing of dishes and I hate the look of a bottle of detergent sitting on the counter, so I started filling it with dishwashing liquid once it was empty.  The pump is finally starting to get a little wonky, but I still prefer this to a big plastic bottle (though I should, of course, have soaked off the label long ago!).  

• Like 2