• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Are you doing your dishes the wrong way?

Anna N

Click. 

Proctor and Gamble are introducing Dawn liquid detergent in spray form. 

“Procter & Gamble (PG) says its old-fashioned liquid detergent, which debuted in 1972, just isn't cut out for the job anymore, so it invented a new Dawn dish spray designed for how people are washing their dishes today. 

More consumers are washing one or two dishes during "cooking downtime," instead of letting them pile up and doing one big wash once they're all done, according to P&G.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

You're meant to wash dishes and reuse them? I didn't get the e-mail!

Sorry, but this is male bovine excrement aimed at selling something else no one wanted! Still, you have to admire their honesty in admitting they've been selling shit for almost 50 years, but now will sell you different shit for another 50 years!

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Priced at $2 more per bottle and likely containing a more dilute product to allow it to spray.  Sounds like a deal for P&G!

I do wash dishes a few at a time.  I have a built-in soap dispenser that I can use to dispense just a drop or two of soap on to a sponge or dish and I also have a dish brush that holds and dispenses soap.  No way to I want to pay a premium price to put that fugly Dawn spray bottle on my counter. 

I like the foam handsoap dispensers and buy them but it's the same thing - a more dilute product sold at a premium. 

• Like 6

42 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I like the foam handsoap dispensers and buy them but it's the same thing - a more dilute product sold at a premium. 

I like the foam dispensers too, because they appeal to my frugal streak (and when you wash your hands a LOT, using less soap helps keep them from drying out). Diluting your own hand soap of choice to make it work in the dispenser is actually pretty trivial. Depending on the soap, you'll need to dilute it 3X to 5X to make it foam properly. Start at 3:1, swirl to mix well, then try pumping. If it's not giving you a smooth supply of foam, add water a bit at a time until you get the right mixture. Once you know the right proportion for your own soap and dispenser, you can (ahem) "dispense with" the trial and error in future.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Every sink in my house has one of those foam soap dispensers...l love them.  I buy the big refill bottle from Amazon.

These dispensers are the best since they have a suction cup on the bottom that keeps them from sliding around and tipping over.  Ingenious.

• Like 1

I massively dilute and keep in a skinny necked bottle. When my dad is doing their ishes (stepmom can fill bth sinks with un-needed dishes and does not wipe extraneous grease/oil out. I have to leave the room and close the intervening door cuz he uses SO much and the scent is maddening. He keeps bottles of it in pantry from 99 cent store. And yes - another ridiculous product!

But someone at P&G (isn't that who makes Dawn?) has now earned a nice year-end bonus because they've come up with a "new" product that cost little but will likely sell like hotcakes. Oh, well, if people want to pay for that level of convenience, more power to 'em. I'll stick to my dish sponge with the handle that holds detergent.

I will note, however, that the finest spot-cleaner on the planet is a combo of Dawn and hydrogen peroxide. Will snatch red wine right out of carpet.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Well you have to give them props for supplying the Dawn to clean birds and other animals including humans after oil spills - though I understand that is marketing as well..  https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=127999735

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1

Well Dawn will always have a soft spot in my heart!  It was my desire to obtain some Dawn Power Dissolver which I expressed on this site that led to a meeting between me and  @Kerry Beal and we have been friends ever since! Document

I would love to have a look at P&G’s research. It’s been well documented here that there are those of us who clean as we cook and those of us who don’t. Has the % changed? P&G are claiming 61%! To me that’s a staggering amount of us. 

Do these people own a dishwasher? Are they single, married, divorced?  Do they perhaps only own one set of dishes and one set of cutlery and have to do it that way? Curious minds would love to know a lot more about this research.

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

5 hours ago, Anna N said:

Well Dawn will always have a soft spot in my heart!  It was my desire to obtain some Dawn Power Dissolver which I expressed on this site that led to a meeting between me and  @Kerry Beal and we have been friends ever since! Document

My mom swore by the Dawn Power Dissolver. When they stopped making it, I resorted to finding it on eBay for her. I have her last remaining bottles.

I do dishes in the manner like the Dawn company says is the "new" way of washing dishes...using the Dawn Dishwashing Foam. I don't have a dishwasher and usually don't have a lot of dishes that need cleaning at one time, so it's just more efficient for me to do them in a piecemeal fashion. This (click) is the Dawn product I use (though I don't buy it on Amazon...I get it at local grocery stores). Works for me!

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I've been a Dawn user for many years. It was the only dishwashing detergent I would use in my ren faire kitchens, also. That being said I DON'T wash as I go and actually wash very few dishes by hand. When I do need to I dribble out 2 or 3 drops of the regular stuff onto what needs washing, and use a wet paper towel as a dish rag (I consider my sponge a dirty item). 99.9% of what I wash goes into the dishwasher after being pre-cleaned by said sponge.  If I were to start handwashing more things I might use a foaming pump with diluted-by-me regular Dawn. In the dishwasher I use Cascade and a bit of Lemon Shine. What I do know is P&G won't be selling me any special foaming pump Dawn. Now if you'll excuse me it's time to feed my pet rock 😉.

• Haha 4

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

7 hours ago, Toliver said:

This (click) is the Dawn product I use (though I don't buy it on Amazon...I get it at local grocery stores). Works for me!

I have never seen nor even heard of this stuff until now. I just use the regular liquid which I buy in a very large bottle and refill a small squeeze bottle that sits beside my kitchen faucet. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

We use a generic spray bottle with a very dilute solution of Dawn and water for remote work and garage work.  It's like a having a hand wash sink without a sink.  You just spray your hands with the weak soap spray and wipe clean.  This sounds like what remote site workers and seasoned campers have been doing for years.    I find it hardly revolutionary, but brilliant marketing I suppose.

• 3 months later...

So the Dawn Dish soap company has an even newer product.

I think their Dawn foamer (click)which I use at home, didn't use up enough dish washing liquid per use so they came out with an even newer product:

Dawn Platinum Powerwash Dish Spray (click)

The biggest difference with this version of their dish soap is that instead of putting the soap on your sponge or dish cloth, or running a dishpan full of water that you add soap to, you spray this product on your actual dishes sitting in the kitchen sink.

I saw a gallery of images of the product being used (on the internet ...somewhere) that shows dishes in a kitchen sink. You spray all of the dishes with the Powerwash Dish Spray, go do whatever else needs to be done and when you come back, you just wipe and rinse the soap off the dishes and let them drain in the dish drainer or dry them yourself.

Six of one...a half dozen of the other. I'm not sure how this product is any better than their foamer.

Tim Oliver

On 12/17/2019 at 1:25 PM, Anna N said:

Well Dawn will always have a soft spot in my heart!

My grandfather on my mom's side went to work for P&G after WW2 when he got out of the army. He worked in the lab so my grandmother was an unofficial product tester as a result. She had her favorites but there was always an interesting array of their products in the house. He always claimed that while the company would never admit it, Mr. Clean was modeled after him. The resemblance is definitely there (he wasn't bald but he maintained a very short military buzz cut until he retired) and a couple of his buddies from the lab always said the same thing but that's not the story according to official information and honestly, probably not the case. Still, as a kid it was fun to think it was true.

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

2 hours ago, Toliver said:

So the Dawn Dish soap company has an even newer product.

I think their Dawn foamer (click)which I use at home, didn't use up enough dish washing liquid per use so they came out with an even newer product:

Dawn Platinum Powerwash Dish Spray (click)

Is that Powerwash spray the same one that inspired @Anna N to start this thread or something even newer?

On 12/17/2019 at 6:39 AM, Anna N said:

Click. 

Proctor and Gamble are introducing Dawn liquid detergent in spray form. 

31 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Is that Powerwash spray the same one that inspired @Anna N to start this thread or something even newer?

Yes! Thank you for pointing that out.

Though there is a mistake in the one of the texts in that linked-to video. The text says that the PowerWash Spray is the newest form of Dawn since the '70's (or something like that). But that's not true here in the US since the Platinum Foamer debuted here in the US some time ago. The PowerWash is brand spanking new here in the US.

I may try the PowerWash but I think that in the end I will stick with the Foamer (now watch them phase it out ¬¬ xD).

• Haha 1

Tim Oliver