• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cookbooks for using dried fruit, vegetables and protein

TdeV

Now that the farmers' markets are closed for the year, I'm interested in extensions for dried foodstuffs. (There are so many disappointing things in the grocery stores).

I'd like to find some cookbooks which specifically call for dried fruit, vegetables, meat and fish.

Recommendations?

I don’t know about a whole book but here’s a wonderful way to use dried plums otherwise known as prunes.Click.

I am sure that many of us have recipes for dried fruits but dried vegetables and dried meats I’m not so sure. 

Of course there are lots of recipes for dried beans and peas and lentils. So a book on pulses might be interesting.

Salt cod,  of course,  has many recipes associated with it but it is the only dried fish I can think of that is not used just as a seasoning unless you count kippered herring as dried. 

The only dried meats I can think  of are jerky and dried beef and the only dried beef recipe I know is the infamous S**t on a shingle of armed forces fame. 

I am sure I am not doing justice to the subject and maybe others will chime in here with better ideas than I have. 

Edited by Anna N
Edit it to make a little more sense I hope (log)
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog