• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

DiggingDogFarm

Your top 10 favorite flavors...

I don't mean to be nitpicky but could someone enlighten me on the definition of a flavor? At least half of the items on the lists submitted are what I call foods or dishes---in other words, simply favorite things to eat. Clearly not flavors: sushi, toast with butter, soups, bread pudding, shellfish, cream puffs, pulled pork, cheese,

These are things I consider flavors: blueberry, vanilla, candied ginger, corn, coffee, lychee, chocolate, maple, pineapple. cantaloupe, etc. Tomato in general may be a flavor, or maybe not. Different tomatoes have different flavors, at least to me. Plum is similar. Santa Rosa plum is a distinct flavor, plum is more of a general flavor. It's complicated, no?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

I don't mean to be nitpicky but could someone enlighten me on the definition of a flavor?

Yeah:::  favourite tastes perhaps but hardly flavours. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 Single Malt

2 Single Malt (another brand)

3 Single Malt (yet another brand)

4 Ditto

5 Ditto

6 Ditto

7 Non Single Malt (all)

8 Cabernet Sauvignon

9 Shiraz

10 Beer

11 Steak (rare)

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

As mentioned, seems to be a lot of cross over between flavours and food - I will attempt a list of flavours:

- Truffles (white or black, I am not picky!)

- Mangoes

- Raspberry

- Caramelized Onion

- Roasted Garlic

- Lobster

- Crab

- Roasted Almond

- Figs

- Wok-hay-Veggies

Trophy goes to the first person with a ranked ist of aromatic organic chemicals. 

• Haha 1

Notes from the underbelly