• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your top 10 favorite flavors...

Martin Fisher

I don't mean to be nitpicky but could someone enlighten me on the definition of a flavor? At least half of the items on the lists submitted are what I call foods or dishes---in other words, simply favorite things to eat. Clearly not flavors: sushi, toast with butter, soups, bread pudding, shellfish, cream puffs, pulled pork, cheese,

These are things I consider flavors: blueberry, vanilla, candied ginger, corn, coffee, lychee, chocolate, maple, pineapple. cantaloupe, etc. Tomato in general may be a flavor, or maybe not. Different tomatoes have different flavors, at least to me. Plum is similar. Santa Rosa plum is a distinct flavor, plum is more of a general flavor. It's complicated, no?

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

I don't mean to be nitpicky but could someone enlighten me on the definition of a flavor?

Yeah:::  favourite tastes perhaps but hardly flavours. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 Single Malt

2 Single Malt (another brand)

3 Single Malt (yet another brand)

4 Ditto

5 Ditto

6 Ditto

7 Non Single Malt (all)

8 Cabernet Sauvignon

9 Shiraz

10 Beer

11 Steak (rare)

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Be kind first.

Be nice.

(If you don't know the difference then you need to do some research)

As mentioned, seems to be a lot of cross over between flavours and food - I will attempt a list of flavours:

- Truffles (white or black, I am not picky!)

- Mangoes

- Raspberry

- Caramelized Onion

- Roasted Garlic

- Lobster

- Crab

- Roasted Almond

- Figs

- Wok-hay-Veggies

• 7 months later...

I need to add cucumber to my list.

How could I forget cucumber?

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

I'm updating my list so as to be more specific.

1. Oyster

2. Crab

3. Wild Blackberry — I absolutely love blackberry!!!

4. Rare Prime Rib of Beef

5. Smoked Salmon

6. Butter

7. Bourbon! I absolutely love the flavor of good bourbon!

8. Fish sauce — I'm an umami addict.

9. Blue Cheese

10. Sea Scallops

11. Memphis-Style Pulled Pork

12. Anchovy

13. Bacon

14. Cucumber

15. Morel Mushroom

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!