• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Duvel

Duvel

Forgot to mention the curing step ...

On 12/7/2019 at 8:50 AM, Duvel said:

I am doing the same with two ducks this year. Planning on SV at 135h for two hours, though. Shouldn’t matter ...

For the confit I use the pretteatment of Keller’s Bouchon.

Sauce is regular red wine reduction with some red currant preserve stirred in.

Sides will be very traditional - potato Knödel with brown butter and roasted breadcrumbs, red cabbage with apples and a serving of Grünkohl (of course).

Did my duck yesterday - am pretty sure it would work nicely with goose as well.

Legs: rubbed with salt, pepper, garlic and rosemary. Cured for 24h in the fridge. 30h @ 68oC. Cooled down, blotted dry and finished in a preheated oven, 250 oC convection with grill for about 10 min.

Breasts: skin scored, rubbed with salt, pepper, quatre epice. 3h @ 54oC. Quickly wiped dry and pressed into a very hot pan for 90 secs to crisp up the skin.

85CC7EA4-B18E-44E7-A3F2-A2533A91362F.thumb.jpeg.7f64396d69fe4ceef5b2eb6bf38cdda0.jpeg

Served with red cabbage and sweet potato puree, classic gravy (not pictured).

Duvel

Duvel

On 12/7/2019 at 8:50 AM, Duvel said:

I am doing the same with two ducks this year. Planning on SV at 135h for two hours, though. Shouldn’t matter ...

For the confit I use the pretteatment of Keller’s Bouchon.

Sauce is regular red wine reduction with some red currant preserve stirred in.

Sides will be very traditional - potato Knödel with brown butter and roasted breadcrumbs, red cabbage with apples and a serving of Grünkohl (of course).

Did my duck yesterday - am pretty sure it would work nicely with goose as well.

Legs: rubbed with salt, pepper, garlic and rosemary. 30h @ 68oC. Cooled down, blotted dry and finished in a preheated oven, 250 oC convection with grill for about 10 min.

Breasts: skin scored, rubbed with salt, pepper, quatre epice. 3h @ 54oC. Quickly wiped dry and pressed into a very hot pan for 90 secs to crisp up the skin.

85CC7EA4-B18E-44E7-A3F2-A2533A91362F.thumb.jpeg.7f64396d69fe4ceef5b2eb6bf38cdda0.jpeg

Served with red cabbage and sweet potato puree, classic gravy (not pictured).