• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking Goose

gfweb

So I scored a "reasonable" goose for about $60.

I'm inclined to SV the breasts and confit the legs.  I'm guessing that the breasts would like 135F x 3 hrs...right ballpark?

Any suggestions for sauce?   Maybe goose fat potatoes and braised red cabbage?

• Like 2

I am a retro idjit.Just slow roast the dang goose. Drain and save fat for whatever, Sauce - something berry tart. Sure I am In the minority    Please report back.  And do prick rigourasly during process as the pricks tighten up as roast goes on. Then super high heat at end to crisp skin. And with the carcass - duck ramen is nice.

• Like 2

I made this about 10 years ago and have note "excellent sauce" on the recipe:

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/roast-goose-with-oranges-and-madeira-966

or you could make a port sauce.

I don't SV duck breasts so can't advise but they should be similar to the way you do duck.

Your sides sounds great...maybe some braised leeks too or a salad as this will be pretty rich.

Nice price, I might add.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, gfweb said:

So I scored a "reasonable" goose for about $60.

I'm inclined to SV the breasts and confit the legs.  I'm guessing that the breasts would like 135F x 3 hrs...right ballpark?

Any suggestions for sauce?   Maybe goose fat potatoes and braised red cabbage?

I am doing the same with two ducks this year. Planning on SV at 135h for two hours, though. Shouldn’t matter ...

For the confit I use the pretteatment of Keller’s Bouchon.

Sauce is regular red wine reduction with some red currant preserve stirred in.

Sides will be very traditional - potato Knödel with brown butter and roasted breadcrumbs, red cabbage with apples and a serving of Grünkohl (of course).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Duvel said:

I am doing the same with two ducks this year. Planning on SV at 135h for two hours, though. Shouldn’t matter ...

Sides will be very traditional - potato Knödel with brown butter and roasted breadcrumbs, red cabbage with apples and a serving of Grünkohl (of course).

How do you prepare the green cabbage? I am so so duck and goose feeling deprived...

You fry chopped onions in goose/duck fat or lard until well browned. Add finely chopped kale, add stock (ideally same animal, but any will do), bit of salt and nutmeg. Boil. Boil more. Together maybe 2h, then adjust seasonings, maybe pepper as well.

Refridgerate overnight (this is important). Next day reheat, add a bit of oatmeal to adjust to a smooth consistency, boil for about 30 min more. Final adjustment of seasoning.

Enjoy !

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Duvel said:

You fry chopped onions in goose/duck fat or lard until well browned. Add finely chopped kale, add stock (ideally same animal, but any will do), bit of salt and nutmeg. Boil. Boil more. Together maybe 2h, then adjust seasonings, maybe pepper as well.

Refridgerate overnight (this is important). Next day reheat, add a bit of oatmeal to adjust to a smooth consistency, boil for about 30 min more. Final adjustment of seasoning.

Enjoy !

Oddly appealing. Thank you. The oatmeal is an interesting touch. - says the girl reading her laptop in bed hugging a bowl of butter and sugar cuz it is so freakin cold and I want to make the cookies.  Seems to be working - butter has softened.. The things we do for friends...

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

I am doing goose for Christmas. I'll break down the goose and confit the legs using the Serious Eats sous vide duck confit recipe https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/12/sous-vide-duck-confit-recipe.html and I am debating sous vide with the breasts or a simple pan roast. Either way, I'd score the skin well and then cook skin side down over low flame until the fat is rendered and the skin is crispy, then into the oven for a few minutes. My fear is that the meat will be tough if I don't sous vide first. I know that there is more connective tissue in a goose breast than a duck. But the toughness may only be a factor with a wild bird. Mine is farmed. Thoughts?

Additionally, I found an old River cottage recipe that adds a course using the neck skin and meat,  and the giblets to make a sort of sausage. My thought was to use the carcass to make a consomme or soup course, as well.

• Like 1

My $60 goose fell through, but I scored a frozen goose at my alternate local supermarket!

Not cheap, but not impossible at $50.

I'm already set for Xmas with tenderloin, so I may have to invent a celebration to cook the goose.

Details will follow

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, gfweb said:

My $60 goose fell through, but I scored a frozen goose at my alternate local supermarket!

Not cheap, but not impossible at $50.

I'm already set for Xmas with tenderloin, so I may have to invent a celebration to cook the goose.

Details will follow

You are inspiring!

• Haha 1

I’ve cooked a goose this way..legs and breast cooked separately.  I boned out the breasts and cooked them on stove top like a duck breast.....a little pink.  I served the breast as an appetizer and the legs were sauced and served as the main.

good luck

• Like 4

My current plan:

-First course will be a salad with some bitter greens and leg and thigh confit.

-Second course will be consomme with ravioli filled with liver, neck meat, and giblets.

-Main course will be breast with (lentils? polenta?) and some sort of bright, acidic sauce (cranberry? orange? ?).

Leaning towards lentils or something that I can make ahead, for obvious reasons. Winter veg roasted in goose fat? I suppose I could sous vide the veg as well and then roast them when I crisp the confit. I'll be finishing all of this at my parents' house, so its nice to arrive with as little work left to do as possible. Everything cooked, or par-cooked, vacuum sealed and in a cooler is another bonus.

All ideas are welcome :) I'll be shopping this afternoon at a great market where I can likely get anything required...

• Like 1

On 12/7/2019 at 8:50 AM, Duvel said:

Did my duck yesterday - am pretty sure it would work nicely with goose as well.

Legs: rubbed with salt, pepper, garlic and rosemary. Cured for 24h in the fridge. 30h @ 68oC. Cooled down, blotted dry and finished in a preheated oven, 250 oC convection with grill for about 10 min.

Breasts: skin scored, rubbed with salt, pepper, quatre epice. 3h @ 54oC. Quickly wiped dry and pressed into a very hot pan for 90 secs to crisp up the skin.

85CC7EA4-B18E-44E7-A3F2-A2533A91362F.thumb.jpeg.7f64396d69fe4ceef5b2eb6bf38cdda0.jpeg

Served with red cabbage and sweet potato puree, classic gravy (not pictured).

Edited by Duvel
Forgot to mention the curing step ... (log)
  • Like 9
  • Delicious 5

9 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Duvel   

nice.  didn't know they had 4 legged ducks in Germany.

learn something even day here on eG

A common misconception: the famous German breed “Alt-Göttinger Quakenschnabel” doesn’t have four legs, just one half breast. You are looking at two specimens ...

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

@Duvel 

my German is weak

but back in the Day , when I was 10 y.o.

and lived in (E)Spain for two years

[ both my parents were Teachers ]

one year my father was invited to Give some Lectures

the German Part was around Frankfurt 

but a place where they had an " Hunters Inn "  with all sorts of

stuffed game on the walls.   It was suggested to me , 

at 10 to get the Stag steak-y thing 

so Deer , or wiled stag

and it was quite nice

moving on to This Post :

I did walk around Frankfurt  and another G city

and knew how to ask for the price , and pay that price 

and ask for the WC  ( british , so sorry )

but I did get to some very nice  Sausage Places

brown bread , mustard , and what ever I pointed to

on the Sausage Rack

but

to keep this thread appropriate 

I never asked for Duck

I am a fine student of Sausage

so I did OK 

back then

• Like 5

Looking back at yesterday’s dinner I have to say that it was very, very satisfying: with minimum effort in terms of preparation and easy timing (sv after one another and finish in oven and pan in parallel), one could dish out perfectly cooked breasts & legs at the same time. Easily scalable too ...

My family was very happy with both preparations  and I will keep that combo in my books for easy entertaining guests.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1