• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Protective Gloves

Jim D.

I am seeking gloves that are good as protection in working with sugar and, more precisely, caramel. In doing a search, I assumed there would be something called "sugar gloves" or some such name, but the only specific ones I located appear to be discontinued. I am preparing once again to make Wybauw's banana and passion fruit caramel, and I am tired of getting burned when the liquid in the fruits starts spattering. It also happens when I am reducing raspberry purée. I have heavy, thick BBQ mitts, but they make it quite difficult to work for very long. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

I have a pair of oven type gloves called the Ove Glove...as I remember.  Bought them a long time ago.  I am a woman and don't have large hands.  I imagine they would fit my husband's fingers much better and so they might fit you JimD...assuming they are still for sale somewhere. 

OK.  Yes they are still for sale in Canada, at least, at Walmart and Canadian Tire....

Edited by Darienne (log)
  • Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

6 hours ago, Jim D. said:

I have heavy, thick BBQ mitts, but they make it quite difficult to work for very long.

Is it lack of dexterity, how hot and sweaty they get, something else?  An you're not pulling sugar, just not a fan of the 'free tattoos' from hot splatters?  Sometimes long sleeved chef coats actually do come in handy to protect the forearms ... (the rest of the time, they're like straightjackets) 🙃

Edited by pastrygirl (log)

I think you have alot of affordable and practical options when it comes to gloves. Just my personal opinion, I wouldnt get anything that is labeled 'sugar gloves,' its just a way to mark up the price on regular gloves. When I pull sugar, I my first layer is a nitrile coated glove, like these:

Ironton Nitrile-coated Gloves, 12 pr

And second layer is a pair of 6 mil venom steel, like these:

https://www.amazon.com/Venom-Nitrile-Gloves-Resistant-Disposable/dp/B01CO9RKGQ/ref=asc_df_B01CO9RKGQ/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167121456202&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12591415589683233649&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9061195&hvtargid=aud-801381245258:pla-338155820524&psc=1

The first really takes the brunt of the heat, then the second just make handling the sugar easier. I used to use vinyl gloves, but they would tear so often with the heat of the sugar, and I would never want to take chances of a small piece of glove being pulled into a batch of sugar or taffy, thus the 6 mil thick gloves, I've never had those tear on me. 

Since your not really handling the caramel, I'd recommend the gloves from the first amazon link, after use they wash up real easy, and just hang to dry. Otherwise I dont think theres any reason you couldnt use a pair of those ordinary yellow dish gloves. I used to use those when I first started pulling sugar, they worked well for handling the heat, but they seemed to impart a flavor to the sugar, so I stopped and searched out another solution. Hopefully that helps, I've used many types and combos through the years, the two linked above are what I consider both ideal and affordable.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

Is it lack of dexterity, how hot and sweaty they get, something else?  An you're not pulling sugar, just not a fan of the 'free tattoos' from hot splatters?  Sometimes long sleeved chef coats actually do come in handy to protect the forearms ... (the rest of the time, they're like straightjackets) 🙃

The BBQ mitts are just too thick to have any dexterity at all. I know I don't need much since I am just stirring, but the hand gets very tired from the effort of holding the spoon and stirring, esp. since the gloves make it difficult to grasp the spoon. I have others intended for BBQ called Pit Mitts, and they are thinner, thus allowing for more dexterity, but they have some sort of fiber on the outside that I feared might come off and drop in the caramel/raspberry purée. I need to check on the gloves Chocolot mentioned previously and make sure they don't have such fibers. I'll also look into what minas6907 described--perhaps using the gloves he recommends will also confer his confectionery skill and artistry on me?

• Like 2

Then I'd say go to the hardware store and get whatever canvas or leather gloves still allow good dexterity and wear long sleeves. 

I have quilted oven mitts but dexterity is poor.  I was happy to get through several big batches of caramel with only a few small splatters but then lost a new thermometer to the cauldron while wearing mitts.  Win some, lose some.

I think MInas' top link looks better for splatter protection because they're looser.  Anything skin tight will still transfer heat immediately.

Edited by pastrygirl (log)
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

On the subject of food handling gloves ...  Over the years I've found that latex gives me a rash so I use the white-ish nitrile gloves.  Recently gloves have been out of stock everywhere so when my kitchen tenant found some and brought me 4 boxes I was excited.  However after a few days of the new black nitrile gloves the backs of my hands are itching like crazy with tiny bumps.  Coincidence?  Different formula for the black ones?  Any suggestions for a snug, flexible, hypo-allergenic disposable glove?  My hands have enough to deal with 😟

28 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

On the subject of food handling gloves ...  Over the years I've found that latex gives me a rash so I use the white-ish nitrile gloves.  Recently gloves have been out of stock everywhere so when my kitchen tenant found some and brought me 4 boxes I was excited.  However after a few days of the new black nitrile gloves the backs of my hands are itching like crazy with tiny bumps.  Coincidence?  Different formula for the black ones?  Any suggestions for a snug, flexible, hypo-allergenic disposable glove?  My hands have enough to deal with 😟

Are the new ones powdered or similar? sometimes one can have issues with that stuff. 

47 minutes ago, weinoo said:

I'm wondering if there's any way you can wear a first layer of cotton glove and then top that with the food handling glove?

Yes.  The scientific supply houses (and I'm sure Amazon) sell lightweight cotton glove liners.  It can take some looking to find the best fit, especially for smaller hands but they're out there.  The nicest ones fit well and can be laundered and re-used.  Others stretch out and don't last very well. 

Edited to add that sturdier ones are also sold in art supply stores for handling archival materials but they can also be used as glove liners. 

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)

1 hour ago, jimb0 said:

Are the new ones powdered or similar? sometimes one can have issues with that stuff. 

Powder free but black and a different brand.  All the bleach probably isn't helping either 😜

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

I'm wondering if there's any way you can wear a first layer of cotton glove and then top that with the food handling glove?

43 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Yes.  The scientific supply houses (and I'm sure Amazon) sell lightweight cotton glove liners.  It can take some looking to find the best fit, especially for smaller hands but they're out there.  The nicest ones fit well and can be laundered and re-used.  Others stretch out and don't last very well. 

Edited to add that sturdier ones are also sold in art supply stores for handling archival materials but they can also be used as glove liners. 

Hmm, good idea, I did get a bunch of cheap cotton gloves once for handling chocolate.  Though if the cotton ones end up sweaty and gross inside the other glove, I might stick with the suffering I know.

thanks!

• 1 year later...
I'm in search of some advice trying to replace heat resistant and cut resistant gloves.

Some years ago I was delighted to discover Trudeau oven gloves because they allowed infinitely more dexterity that my old oven mitts. Now Trudeau has a mitt which can be worn on either hand. Convenient.
image.png.36c01e347bd338063e400c43c1e9e9ba.png

However, the gloves still don't fit my hands well; they are one-size gloves and I have short fingers. I'm noticing how much trouble I have trying to hold something in between the tips of my fingers. I'm looking for a new solution for very close fitting hot gloves.

I've been using the Anova as a dehydrator lately, so I spend a lot of time slicing vegetables. For chiles, I wear a KN95 and thin disposable nitrile gloves under cut-resistant gloves (from Lee Valley) here. These are the best cut-resistant gloves I've found yet.
image.png.0f4cd291c81d84383ed83bf54b6e0f38.png
However, the gloves still don't fit my hands well; in order to fit my arthritic knuckles I'm wearing size large, so there's an empty half-inch+/- of glove at the tip that I have to work at not slicing off.

@blue_dolphin mentioned lightweight cotton glove liners from scientific supply houses (or Amazon). Does anyone have preferences or suggestions?

I'm willing to spend quite a bit of money for good gloves, bonus if they're washable.

4 minutes ago, TdeV said:

However, the gloves still don't fit my hands well; they are one-size gloves and I have short fingers. I'm noticing how much trouble I have trying to hold something in between the tips of my fingers. I'm looking for a new solution for very close fitting hot gloves.

For heat-resistant gloves, I've had these Grill Armor gloves in extra small (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) for about 5 years and am happy with them. I can't say they offer exquisite manual dexterity as they're still pretty bulky but they come closest to fitting my small-ish hands than most others I've tried.  Like the mitt you mention, each glove can be worn on either hand so no fumbling back and forth when you just want to grab a glove quickly. They don't have a long cuff like the ones you show in your post, so that may be an issue for you.  I have some extra long mitts if I need arm protection but the gloves are good for most of my needs.

I'll have to check out those Lee Valley cut-resistant gloves and any other recommendations.  The ones I have are miserably large and I should really get something better. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

For heat-resistant gloves, I've had these Grill Armor gloves in extra small (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) for about 5 years and am happy with them. I can't say they offer exquisite manual dexterity as they're still pretty bulky but they come closest to fitting my small-ish hands than most others I've tried.  Like the mitt you mention, each glove can be worn on either hand so no fumbling back and forth when you just want to grab a glove quickly. They don't have a long cuff like the ones you show in your post, so that may be an issue for you.  I have some extra long mitts if I need arm protection but the gloves are good for most of my needs.

I'll have to check out those Lee Valley cut-resistant gloves and any other recommendations.  The ones I have are miserably large and I should really get something better. 

Thank you SO much for that. I was going to PM you cuz remembered you'd made a suggestion while back. I have small hands and neuropathy so I either feel heat overly intensely md jump (you can imagine the n=messes I've made) or feel little and then get burned. Those look perfect for getting things in and out of oven which is my need :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, heidih said:

Thank you SO much for that. I was going to PM you cuz remembered you'd made a suggestion while back. I have small hands and neuropathy so I either feel heat overly intensely md jump (you can imagine the n=messes I've made) or feel little and then get burned. Those look perfect for getting things in and out of oven which is my need :)

One thing to watch out for with these or other fabric gloves is that if you inadvertently get them wet and then pick up something very hot, there would be the risk of a steam burn.  Since you mentioned neuropathy, I thought I should add that caution. 

• Like 2