• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

pastrygirl

pastrygirl

Then I'd say go to the hardware store and get whatever canvas or leather gloves still allow good dexterity and wear long sleeves. 

I have quilted oven mitts but dexterity is poor.  I was happy to get through several big batches of caramel with only a few small splatters but then lost a new thermometer to the cauldron while wearing mitts.  Win some, lose some.

I think MInas' top link looks better for splatter protection because they're looser.  Anything skin tight will still transfer heat immediately.

pastrygirl

pastrygirl

Then I'd say go to the hardware store and get whatever canvas or leather gloves still allow good dexterity and wear long sleeves. 

I have quilted oven mitts but dexterity is poor.  I was happy to get through several big batches of caramel with only a few small splatters but then lost a new thermometer to the cauldron while wearing mitts.  Win some, lose some.