• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A once-famous, long-lost corn variety returns from the dead

liuzhou

It might surprise some that it's me who is posting this, but despite my loathing of c*rn, I am always happy to read stories like this. Whether it's c*rn or anything else, we need to preserve our crops and traditions. Not that I'd eat the wretched stuff, though!

A once-famous, long-lost corn variety returns from the dead - from The Washington Post.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

On 11/28/2019 at 10:25 PM, liuzhou said:

It might surprise some that it's me who is posting this, but despite my loathing of c*rn, I am always happy to read stories like this. Whether it's c*rn or anything else, we need to preserve our crops and traditions. Not that I'd eat the wretched stuff, though!

A once-famous, long-lost corn variety returns from the dead - from The Washington Post.

Great article. I'm sure it escapes no one that the brothers are Darrell and Manning FARMER. Also at the end is a reference to Greg Johnston, who owns Geechie Boy Mills. That's where I get my grits mail ordered. Next time I order I will look to see if he is actually selling the long lost Cocke's Prolific-- meal or grits grind.

Great story, and I too have purchased from Geechie Boy Mill (and Carolina Plantation as well) - great stuff.  As an aside, Significant Eater and I really enjoy popcorn. So when I see unusual, or just different popcorn than that which I can buy locally, I try to grab some.

IMG_9579.thumb.JPG.39fa702183b5f3d93fbf280f57483463.JPG

We were recently in Burlington, VT - that's the stuff in the big jar at the top.  And then when we were in Milwaukee, I found the two jars at bottom at the Milwaukee Public Market.  The labels from each; too bad they don't identify the actual varieties of corn. As can be seen in the bottom right jar, there are some small kernels in there. They pop up nicely, and the texture/taste is quite different than the larger kernels.

IMG_9580.thumb.JPG.4999d94fa4920766a906054e821aa8af.JPG

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

So, WHAT is the name of the variety?  The article is blocked unless I pay Washington Post.

If I know the name I cal look for other article that don't hold me up for payment before I can read it.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

19 minutes ago, andiesenji said:

So, WHAT is the name of the variety?  The article is blocked unless I pay Washington Post.

If I know the name I cal look for other article that don't hold me up for payment before I can read it.

It's not blocked to me and I've never paid them a cent.

The variety is Cocke's Prolific, as mentioned in the second post.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Try this:

https://www.heirloomgardener.com/plant-profiles/edible/cockes-prolific-corn-with-a-comeback-story-zm0z19szhoe

Argh. That one hits a paywall as well, but not until you're halfway through. Here's another, which doesn't...

http://www.thecarolinagoldricefoundation.org/news/2018/4/2/now-it-is-found-the-story-of-cockes-prolific-corn

Edited by chromedome (log)

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

20 minutes ago, chromedome said:

Gettin' into the weeds now. Really astonishing that "Cox's" Prolific seeds were on Craigslist and the right people saw it.

21 hours ago, rotuts said:

@weinoo 

what sort of Popping System do you use ?

looks like an interesting and tasty hobby

I'm a stovetop in an old (er) 3 qt. saucepan popper.  It has a glass lid, with a hole for steam to escape, but I also set the lid ajar once the popping starts in earnest.

I like to use a mix of either safflower or sunflower seed oil, and butter or duck fat. If butter, I don't add it until those first few kernels pop.  I also salt the kernels before they start popping.  

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?