• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kuna

chamb

I have read some great reviews for Kuna, but they have all been several months old. I have walked down the block it is supposedly on (1300 blk of U St), and I have never seen it. Am I just blind ( a distinct possibility), or has it closed?

• 1 year later...

Stirring things up again...

Kuna is another restaurant that doesn't get much pub here. Why not? Sietsema recommends it up the wazoo.

Personally, I like it a lot, but with a few "but"s. The prices have climbed a little (it's still inexpensive though) while the number of menu items has - at least during the week - dropped significantly. I understand that the margins must be low with the prices they charge, but the place is just about always packed.

Sometimes I wish for more interesting non-pasta options because most of the time, I'll just order the spicy penne with vodka sauce (which, in theory, I can make at home - that experience with "you won't be single for long" pastaaside).

I love having the ability to sample the house wines while waiting for a table, as well as the friendly, involved owner.

All in all, I think it's good stuff in a lively neighborhood and I do wish there were more spots like Kuna.

• 3 months later...

A friend Joanne and I went to Kuna right after work last night (6:30ish). We didn't have a reservation, but it was early enough that we managed fine.

I noticed that they presently have soft-shell crabs on the menu ($12.95, I believe) served with arugala. My friend and I knew what we were ordering so we didn't ask about the preparation.

For starters, Joanne had a Roman Holiday ($7) which was kind of a variation on a cosmopolitan. Alas I am on antibiotics (seems like for the rest of my life, but only six more days in reality :sad: ) so there were no wine samples for me this evening.

We shared two appetizers: the always-wonderful risotto pancake with fresh tomatoes, and asparagus with chickpeas served warm with a hint of tangy vinaigrette. Both were awesome. The asparagus spears were tiny baby ones and cooked to that point of still being firm, but not too firm.

Kuna DOES have more entrees, however I have learned from experience that if I don't get the penne with spicy vodka ($14.95, I think; sounds ho-hum, I know), I will be jealous of anyone at the table who does and hound them for bite after bite. So that's what we both got.

The flavor was just as good as ever, but the sauce wasn't the usual consistency; it was on the slightly watery side, but as I said, it still tasted great.

We were too full for dessert.

Total bill (with tax, but not yet tip): $48. It's true that prices have gone up over the last two years, but this place is still a super deal.

Kuna DOES have more entrees, however I have learned from experience that if I don't get the penne with spicy vodka ($14.95, I think; sounds ho-hum, I know), I will be jealous of anyone at the table who does and hound them for bite after bite. So that's what we both got.

I second that. My wife and I love this place. I especially love the wine tasting while you wait for your table.

• 3 weeks later...

Went to Kuna tonite with Liam and Mazman. Loved the wine tasting at the bar, very casual--overall the atmosphere was quite laid back, very chilled, which I liked. Had eggplant bruschetta, very nice, chicken liver crostini, I think I was the only fan of that, and risotta pancake, which Liam loves.

I tried the sea urchin pasta--overrated. Not enough urchin, not fresh enough urchin, overall the dish lacked flavor. Liam had the penne with calamari and tomato cream sauce--he liked it, I thought the calamari were boring (little rings) and the sauce could've used more pepper. My fig and chocolate gelato in a martini glass was delish. At $15 entrees and $5-10 apps the prices aren't high. Service is friendly, wine list reasonably priced, and they allow BYO at $14/bottle, max two.

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

• 3 weeks later...
... asparagus with chickpeas served warm with a hint of tangy vinaigrette. Both were awesome. The asparagus spears were tiny baby ones and cooked to that point of still being firm, but not too firm.

Agreed, the asparagus is a great dish (it's listed as grilled asparagus with spicy beans and ricotta salata).

The service at Kuna is hors classe (no, that has nothing to do with the puttanesca being translated on the menu as "whore's sauce").

Every by-the-glass red wine is available when you walk in, gratis, in a little tasting pour at the back bar (note: there are no seats at this bar; it's just a tiny standing area). However, I had gone straight to the table when I walked in, and at the end of the meal my server noticed that I left my glass of red wine untouched, asking me if I didn't like it. "It was a little too warm," I said, and then went back to enjoying my fine glass of Sicilian white (you should order a bottle of this) after he cleared the table. The glass of red wine was removed from the check without any request by me to do so. Repeat: I had a chance to taste all the red wines beforehand, chose not to, ordered a red wine with my main course, didn't drink it, and it was removed from the tab without any request by me to do so. How generous is that?

Kuna is a wonderful neighborhood restaurant, and a little bit of New York in Washington. You can pick at the flaws, but it isn't worth it to do so: Kuna is worth the trip for service alone. Get the table by the front window, read a fascinatingly cheesy book (there are several to choose from), and revel in the casual friendliness of the staff.

Cheers,

Rocks.

P.S. The owners of Kuna and Komi had a dyslexic child who subsequently opened a restaurant called "Amok."

I suppose while reading, drinking, and chatting with staff, it might be nice to eat something...So Don, what food did you have that you liked (other than the asparagus)?

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

I suppose while reading, drinking, and chatting with staff, it might be nice to eat something...So Don, what food did you have that you liked (other than the asparagus)?

I love that the wine list is unabashedly Italian, with 23 out the 24 selections coming from Italy. The basket of bread is quite good although the spread is a bit potent for my taste. The quality of the dried pasta Kuna uses is high, but offering a housemade pasta or two would put it on another level.