• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recipes: Lost & Found

RDW

22 hours ago, dtremit said:

As gratitude for searching the memory banks, I'll post the (non-creamy) cranberry salad recipe from the other side of my family, which is surprisingly different, but also good. 

Cranberry Jell-O Salad

1 lb. (4 cups) cranberries
1 juice orange (i.e., a thin-skinned orange for juicing)
2 cups sugar
4 cups water
2 pkgs. (3 oz.) JELL-O Lemon Flavor Gelatin
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped walnuts

Grind cranberries and unpeeled orange together in food processor (or food grinder if you're retro); add sugar and let stand.

Dissolve Jello in hot water; chill until partially set.

Mix Jell-o and cranberry mixture with all other ingredients.

Pour into serving bowl and let stand until firm. 

To mold the salad, it's best to reduce the water by 1/2 cup.

This is very similar to what we'll have tomorrow (and again Christmas, and very possibly between the two). Mine uses raspberry instead of lemon Jell-O, no celery (horrors!), pecans instead of walnuts, and adds chopped apples.

We did, in fact, grind the fruit in the sausage grinder. I do it in a food processor now.

I've had, but never made, the creamy one. Have also had one with a gelled cranberry base and a creamy layer on top. No recipes for either. @andiesenji's recipe sounds right.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

11 hours ago, andiesenji said:

Here's one I used to use.  Haven't thought of it for a few years since I don't do big dinners now.

Josie Speight  was a nurse I worked with for 20 years. She was a twin and had an enormous family, thought nothing of doing T-Day  or other holiday dinners for  FORTY.  i was invited a few times.

JOSIE’S CRANBERRY GELATIN SALAD

2  cups fresh or frozen cranberries

1 1/4 cups sugar

1 cup water

1 (6-oz) pkg ORANGE gelatin powder

1 cup boiling water

1 (8-oz) pkg cream cheese -- softened

1/2 pint sour cream

2 cans mandarin orange segments, 11oz -- well drained 

1 cup ORANGE soda  You can substitute orange juice  but add a rounded tablespoon of sugar.

1/2 cup pecans -- chopped

This sounds a lot closer to what I remember than anything I've found online -- thank you! I'm wondering if the recipe we made was a simplification of something like this. I had rejected the notion of cream cheese being involved because I was sure there was sour cream, but maybe they were both involved...

Funnily enough, I think the recipe my mom used was from my aunt, who was also a twin. I asked her years ago if she still had a copy and she never remembered having had the recipe in the first place!

(Edited to add: the first three ingredients are basically whole berry cranberry sauce, and if you were molding it instead of making in a dish, you'd probably have reduced the liquid. I think I'm going to try omitting the cup of soda, use lemon Jell-O, and see where it gets me...)

Edited by dtremit (log)
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, kayb said:

This is very similar to what we'll have tomorrow (and again Christmas, and very possibly between the two). Mine uses raspberry instead of lemon Jell-O, no celery (horrors!), pecans instead of walnuts, and adds chopped apples.

We did, in fact, grind the fruit in the sausage grinder. I do it in a food processor now.

The celery flavor is actually pretty hard to notice in this particular salad -- it mostly adds texture. I like it, but then, I like Cel-Ray soda.

I could imagine the apples being quite a nice swap, particularly something like a Granny Smith.

As for the pecans, I think my Depression-era grandparents were too frugal to put them into a Jell-O salad! Walnuts were much cheaper for us.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kayb said:

We had pecan trees. Pecans were plentiful, and my cooking shows it. 

Where I grew up in western Kentucky we had several pecan groves and a couple were very old and the trees were huge.  There were not as many in the "old" groves because many had been cut down for the lumber, probably a hundred years earlier.  

The younger groves produce more nuts but not as large as the older trees.

My grandparents cook used a lot of pecans in cooking and baking and candy making.  The Divinity she made was loaded with pecans. I have tried hundreds of times to duplicate it but have never succeeded in getting that evasive flavor.

• Like 3

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

@dtremit were  you able to make your cranberry Jell-O salad? 

I was just just wondering earlier in the thread if the addition of cream cheese in some of these Jell-O salads was a regional thing - seems to be prevalent in the South ... I was not remarking on anyone’s original recipe - or disparaging any classic recipes etc. 😁

I have an EpiPen ... my friend gave it to me when he was dying ... it seemed very important to him that I have it ... 

• 4 years later...

Gyngawdry and Tavorsay

I've been seeing these in my local supermarket for years and wondering what I could do with them.

102265332_fishlivers.jpg.db01c2f4a54349ca7ae6a676f56c315e.thumb.jpg.d33f38627bf6fb59f479feaa7c26b19a.jpg

They are the Iivers of some unidentified species of fish.

Then, yesterday, I remembered two recipes. The first is for gyngawdry, sometimes spelled gyngawtre. Not that it's spelled often. It was first found in writing in 1390 and hasn't been found any later than around 1450, other than in works by other writers, nearly all historians, quoting the 1390 book.

The 1390 reference is from The Forme of Cury by the Chief Master-Cook of King Richard II of England, the oldest English language cookbook we know of. 'Cury' is an old form of 'cookery' from the Latin, curia. Nothing to do with 'curry'.

GYNGAWDRY

"Take the powche and the lyver of haddok, codlyng and hake and of oother fisshe, parboil them, take them and dice them small, take of the self broth and wine, a layour of bread of galyntyne with good powders and salt, cast that fysshe therein and boile it. & do thereto amydoun and colour it grene."  

forme.thumb.jpg.e7566a6402ab76b143e2d7a35dd00798.jpg

The Forme of Cury - PD

That the dish disappeared a mere 60 years after its debut is not encouraging, although it lasted longer than Richard, who was forced to abdicate in 1399 and was executed by Henry IV on Valentine's  Day, 1400 at the age of 33. The fate of his cook is unreported.

Anyway, although I don't know what the species is in my supermarket, I'm totally sure it isn't haddock, cod or hake. I move on

TAVORSAY

Tavorsay has even fewer mentions only being referenced once - in 1450, just as gyngawdry makes its last appearance in the same document.

It does have a clearer description though.

"Tauorsay: Nym ye hed of ye codling & ye liuere, & like out ye bones. Cast therto goud poudre of piper & gyngiur and gif forth."

Cod head and liver with spices including pepper and ginger. 

Cod I can get here although not with livers intact. Fish head soup is popular here but is made from bighead carp, not cod.

Hmmm. No fish livers in my immediate future, it seems.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Tomorrow would be the perfect day to cook both of these. The first one is already colored green and you could just pitch a little turmeric in the second one to color it Orange and you've got Ireland covered to a T.