• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

I have no problems with eating solo. I do much of my travelling alone and have eaten solo in many countries. It's when I'm home in China that I have problems.

Chinese food is usually served family style and the better restaurants are only equipped with tables sitting large groups. This means that I often feel restricted to smaller, more simple places, not that I mind them, but sometimes I want something a bit more elevated. Fortunately my friends are hungry people so I get to go to better places sometimes.

A couple of days ago,  I posted a lunch served in a restaurant I had wanted to visit for a long time, but no one else wanted to go with me to that particular restaurant. It made no sense for me to go by myself as the smallest dish they do is for four people.  Luckily this week, I finally found some companions  who were happy to eat there.

I have found southeast Asian countries better for solo eating. Especially Vietnam.

liuzhou

liuzhou

I have no problems with eating solo. I do much of my travelling alone and have eaten solo in many countries. It's when I'm home in China that I have problems.

Chinese food is usually served family style and the better restaurants are only equipped with tables sitting large groups. This means that I often feel restricted to smaller, more simple places, not that I mind them, but sometimes I want something a bit more elevated. Fortunately my friends are hungry people so I get to go to better places sometimes.

A couple of days ago,  I posted a lunch served in a restaurant I had wanted to visit for a long time, but no one else wanted to go with me to that particular restaurant. It made no sense for me to go by myself as the smallest dish they do is for four people.  Luckily this week, I finally found some companions  who were happy to eat there.

I have found southeast Asian countries better for solo eating. Esoecially Vietnam.