• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ghirardelli unsweetened cocoa nutritional data

Franci

I was just comparing nutritional values of different cocoa powders and  then I started to think...how come the ghirardelli is so low on calories? I wish they would just do 100g for nutritional data, people don’t want an easy math???

Anyway, attaching a picture. 

In my world 1g of fat=9 calories, 3g of carbs=12 and 1g of protein 4. For a total of 25 cal not 15. So 100g of product is 416 cal not 250. 

It frustrates me so much. With smaller numbers also mistakes are more difficult to see. 

49DEEA84-08DB-4E02-B809-49F617FD5BCE.jpeg

Edited by Franci (log)

1 gram of fat for 6 g cocoa is in the normal range, but you’re right, at that small serving size there may have been some rounding that would throw off accuracy when multiplied. 

fwiw, Valrhona cocoa is 21 g fat per 100 g, 370 cal. 

Now I am even more confused. So, I use CalorieKing to count macros. For an average unsweetened cocoa powder I get the macros that you see in the picture. How can the numbers be so off? I tried with my fitness pal and Hershey is the same. Droste unsweetened cocoa powder is the only one that came exact at calculating in CalorieKing. Just thinking about all diabetic people wanting correct numbers...edit to add: I even thought law might allow to take off dietary fiber from calculating calories but still numbers don’t make sense to me. Do you know? 

6DDCEB34-A0F9-408B-BF3B-D2C71F1411A2.jpeg

Edited by Franci (log)