• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

3 hours ago, KennethT said:

When I was in Hong Kong, there was a very well known restaurant that is best known for their roast goose.  They're a cantonese place so of course they also have the steamed fish and other roast meats, but that goose was to die for.  We actually (inadvertently) went there twice!  The prices of the cooked goose served in the restaurant was significantly less than what a whole raw goose costs here in NY...

Would that be Yat Lok? Their goose is awesome (and deserving of the Michelin star) but to be honest, I've never had a bad roast goose in HK or Guangdong. The preferred breed is 狮头鹅 (Simplified Chinese ) / 獅頭鵝 (Traditional Chinese) shī tóu é, meaning lion's head goose. I don't know how available this breed is outside Guangdong where they are reared, though.

350358612_RoastGoose.thumb.jpg.3ff141272f176b9d400f483b67c9aed0.jpg

Gratuitous Roast Goose Picture

There is a rather good article on roast goose in China here.

liuzhou

liuzhou

3 hours ago, KennethT said:

When I was in Hong Kong, there was a very well known restaurant that is best known for their roast goose.  They're a cantonese place so of course they also have the steamed fish and other roast meats, but that goose was to die for.  We actually (inadvertently) went there twice!  The prices of the cooked goose served in the restaurant was significantly less than what a whole raw goose costs here in NY...

Would that be Yat Lok? Their goose is awesome (and deserving of the Michelin star) but to be honest, I've never had a bad roast goose in HK or Guangdong. The preferred breed is 狮头鹅 (Simplified Chinese ) / 獅頭鵝 (Traditional Chinese) shī tóu é, meaning lion's head goose. I don't know how available this breed is outside Guangdong where they are reared, though.

350358612_RoastGoose.thumb.jpg.3ff141272f176b9d400f483b67c9aed0.jpg

Gratuitous Roast Goose Picture

liuzhou

liuzhou

2 hours ago, KennethT said: