• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

David Ross

The Gingerbread House Topic

1 hour ago, kayb said:

I bought a kit, on a whim, from Target. We'll see how it goes.

It gives you a base and then customize with your own. I woud get a structural icing on board as well. Then "ready, set go"

• Like 1

More of the details of my gingerbread house.  I didn't have a formal plan for this house, just bought things that caught my eye then got them home and started applying them..  The tree is a disaster.  It was a pre-made gingerbread tree but I thought I'd be unique and spray it with fake Christmas snow.  Of course being porous the snow never really stuck and I should have left the gingerbread in its natural state, just adding icing and decorations.  

Trees from the model railroad hobby store sprayed with fake Christmas snow-

IMG_0796.JPG

Farm animals from the toy section.  The "snow" around the house is coconut. I experimented with different ways to

glue down the coconut, but nothing worked too well so I just spread it around loose.

IMG_0797.JPG

The front walk path is Grape Nuts cereal.  Then I sprinkled on some clear cooking sprinkles to sort of look like

ice pebbles.

IMG_0798.JPG

The figurines came from the craft store.  To make the "ice rink" I cooked a simple syrup to the hard crack stage then

added a drop of blue food coloring.  Let dry until hard.

IMG_0801.JPG

The chimney is rock candy jelly beans then the smoke is cotton "snow".

IMG_0805.JPG

IMG_0814.JPG

IMG_0800.JPG

IMG_0802.JPG

IMG_0803.JPG

IMG_0804.JPG

IMG_0806.JPG

IMG_0807.JPG

IMG_0808.JPG

IMG_0809.JPG

IMG_0810.JPG

IMG_0811.JPG

IMG_0812.JPG

IMG_0813.JPG

IMG_0815.JPG

IMG_0816.JPG

• Like 6

so many wonderful Gingerbread Houses !

Congratulations to all

I think my mother and sister and I when small made one or two.

barely.   and quite simple , but fun

sort of for age at that time

• Like 2

I am totally impressed!

When our first grandchild was born prematurely, her other grandmother sent the family a gingerbread house kit.    The new mother had no time for such, so it came to me to assemble.   I came close to coming as apart as the disparate house pieces.    I finally traded duties with the au pair, taking her hours of housework in exchange for her construction skills.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

eGullet member #80.