• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

You asked for it!

We've all done it.   Tossed out a casual offer and been taken up on it.

Twin grandkids birthday coming up and they traditionally have dinner here "in the Happy Birthday room", flowers, candles, cake et al.    And so I asked their mother for their menu requests.     They came this morning.

"Daddy steak" for A

Lamb lollipops for B

Pasta for all.   Pesto for A; Marinara for B.   Parmesan on the side.

"Ama carrots" (my style, roasted)

Broccoli and cheese sauce, but A only wants stems.

Cake

I know, I know, my fault.

eta. I forgot the cake.    A wants lemon with lemon frosting, B wants chocolate with chocolate frosting -> one layer each flavor, cut in half and sandwiched with respective frosting, butted up against each other to make one two-toned cake.

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)
  • Haha 10

eGullet member #80.

3 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

We've all done it.   Tossed out a casual offer and been taken up on it.

Twin grandkids birthday coming up and they traditionally have dinner here "in the Happy Birthday room", flowers, candles, cake et al.    And so I asked their mother for their menu requests.     They came this morning.

"Daddy steak" for A

Lamb lollipops for B

Pasta for all.   Pesto for A; Marinara for B.   Parmesan on the side.

"Ama carrots" (my style, roasted)

Broccoli and cheese sauce, but A only wants stems.

Cake

I know, I know, my fault.

eta. I forgot the cake.    A wants lemon with lemon frosting, B wants chocolate with chocolate frosting -> one layer each flavor, cut in half and sandwiched with respective frosting, butted up against each other to make one two-toned cake.

Where is the 'aarrgghhh!!!' button?

• Haha 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

The twins will be 6.   Their older sister is 8.   This is all of my own making.   We were so taken (in) by the older child's response to her first birthday that we started a tradition which, as happens has kind of grown like Topsy

1138673292_ScreenShot2019-11-18at5_58_30PM.thumb.png.43a74953e77238948666c50bf77260e0.png

943029757_ScreenShot2019-11-18at5_59_01PM.thumb.png.70e33688653084279eb843c207f7399c.png

When this child was around 3, she was "keeping me company" as I was setting up for a dinner party.   She asked what i was doing, and I explained.   She bellowed, NOOOOOOO!

I don't want other people having a party in 'the Happy Birthday Room"!    

I could certainly trim the menu to a one-size fits all, but at the end of the day it wouldn't be that much easier.    Besides, they think I can do anything, but more importantly have no concept yet of the limitations of age.

(the one pictured above, at her second birthday party called out, "More bread!"    Her father replied, "What else do we say, Sweetheart?"   She replied in an equally strong voice, "Put butter on it!")

• Haha 10

eGullet member #80.

27 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

(the one pictured above, at her second birthday party called out, "More bread!"    Her father replied, "What else do we say, Sweetheart?"   She replied in an equally strong voice, "Put butter on it!")

A girl after my own heart. That's adorable. :)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I cannot tell you what I'd give to have a grandchild whose acceptable menu is more than a range of six things, all but two of which are carbs. Plus most fruit, but not strawberries. Fortunately, the other two will eat most anything, although they are at the stage they regard casseroles suspiciously.

The first one is on the autism spectrum, and apparently taste limitations are not uncommon with that. 

And your grandchild is absolutely adorable. Isn't it great to have them around?

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Well my nephew was Mr . "white only" - pasta and butter usually. Now he is world traveler adventure food guy  (in med school but the Assoes travel alot)- but he evolved on his own. 

Ah yes, the promise of a "special" Birthday meal.  I rewarded my 16-year-old stepdaughter one year with a rather spectacular birthday because  she had not only taken care of my dogs while I was on a 10 day dog-show circuit but  whelped a litter of puppies that arrived 3 days early, took excellent care of them and their dam as well as the others.

Her birthday was in mid December  so for her I made a Croquembouche.  She had invited 3 friends - her favorite meal was beef stroganoff with glazed carrots and creamed potatoes and peas.  They had the dining room to themselves for about 3-4 hours and I could hear a lot of giggling and some music.  

They enjoyed it and I guess is was a subject at school for the remaining week before the holiday break.  

They ate every bit of the Croquembouche.  The other girls helped Liz clean up pretty well.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

On 11/19/2019 at 8:31 AM, haresfur said:

Someone who wants to eat the broccoli stems will be quite the catch when they reach the catching age

My dream catch needs to eat the florets too, since I hate broccoli. Oh wait, he already does, but he never gets to eat it because I can't even tolerate the smell. I didn't used to be like this and I don't know how this happened. On the other hand I really like Chinese broccoli (gai lan), stems, leaves the whole package. With lots of garlic, wok-fried.

I remember those years when my daughter only ate white food. What a weird phase. But some kids just need to take a stand about food. Until the don't.

• Like 2

We all survived another family celebration.  Pretty smoothly, in fact.  Everyone, including adults must be growing up.

The cake(s), half lemon, half chocolate, decorated with soccer balls, triumphant.    They took home most of what was left, as well as co0pious leftover meat and pasta.  

photo-1.thumb.JPG.4518e2f179cbc8e674f44f95cdec6547.JPG

• Like 9

eGullet member #80.

On 11/21/2019 at 6:35 AM, Katie Meadow said:

I really like Chinese broccoli (gai lan), stems, leaves the whole package. With lots of garlic, wok-fried.

Me too. Mainly because it is only vaguely related to broccoli, being one of the many brassicas. I've always thought the name Chinese broccoli to be somewhat misleading.

Incidentally gai lan is the Cantonese name. I know it as 芥兰 (jiè làn), the Mandarin name. It literally means "mustard orchid".

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

7 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Me too. Mainly because it is only vaguely related to broccoli, being one of the many brassicas. I've always thought the name Chinese broccoli to be somewhat misleading.

Incidentally gai lan is the Cantonese name. I know it as 芥兰 (jiè làn), the Mandarin name. It literally means "mustard orchid".

Me three.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Mustard orchid it is! The more distance from broccoli the better.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2