Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

gfweb

Momofuku Ranch Dressing. What's the frigging recipe?

Recommended Posts

I went out and bought buttermilk.

 

I'm home and can find coy references to some ingredients, but I can't find the actual recipe on eG.

 

There are links that go to places that I don't have permission to view which does me no good.

 

I'm asking nicely.

  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, gfweb said:

I went out and bought buttermilk.

 

I'm home and can find coy references to some ingredients, but I can't find the actual recipe on eG.

 

There are links that go to places that I don't have permission to view which does me no good.

 

I'm asking nicely.

1 cup kewpie mayonnaise

1/4 cup buttermilk

Half cup pickled ramps or half pickled pearl onions and half scallion greens, finally chopped

Juice of half a lemon or to taste

Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. 
 

combine ingredients and taste for seasoning. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, robirdstx said:

The Recipe: Link on Google Books

 

 

Thanks, but this is one of the links that blocks me from seeing the recipe.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, robirdstx said:


Curious, do you know the reason?


Whatever the reason, it blocks me as well.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Anna N said:

1 cup kewpie mayonnaise

1/4 cup buttermilk

Half cup pickled ramps or half pickled pearl onions and half scallion greens, finally chopped

Juice of half a lemon or to taste

Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. 
 

combine ingredients and taste for seasoning. 

If one had an aversion to buttermilk - given the taste of the final product per the original recipe, what would you substitute?

 

I am thinking maybe just a little lime and/or lemon and a bit of water?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

YAY!  Been wondering about this ever since Jo wrote about it.  I just didn't have the courage to ask.:raz:

 

Amazon doesn't have the pickled ramps that @Kim Shook got, dang it.  No pickled ramps at all so I ordered pickled pearl onions.

 

Can't wait.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TicTac said:

If one had an aversion to buttermilk - given the taste of the final product per the original recipe, what would you substitute?

 

I am thinking maybe just a little lime and/or lemon and a bit of water?

I haven't made or tasted this stuff yet, but maybe I'd add some cream?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Shelby said:

YAY!  Been wondering about this ever since Jo wrote about it.  I just didn't have the courage to ask.:raz:

 

Amazon doesn't have the pickled ramps that @Kim Shook got, dang it.  No pickled ramps at all so I ordered pickled pearl onions.

 

Can't wait.

 

That does it!  This spring I am going to start mass producing pickled ramps, not for sale - just for trade'sies 😛

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pops right up for me. It is the preview view of the book. The listed reipe is verbatim as  @Anna N  posted  Note I am in Google Chrome so maybe that is a difference.


Edited by heidih (log)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Shelby said:

YAY!  Been wondering about this ever since Jo wrote about it.  I just didn't have the courage to ask.:raz:

 

Amazon doesn't have the pickled ramps that @Kim Shook got, dang it.  No pickled ramps at all so I ordered pickled pearl onions.

 

Can't wait.

 

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/154258-ingredients-via-internet/?do=findComment&comment=2218002

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, TicTac said:

If one had an aversion to buttermilk - given the taste of the final product per the original recipe, what would you substitute?

 

I am thinking maybe just a little lime and/or lemon and a bit of water?

 

I, too, am not thrilled with buttermilk.  Though whole milk buttermilk is somewhat more palatable for me.  You could try substituting whole milk yogurt for the buttermilk.  But my advice is to get some whole milk buttermilk and try it.  What do you have to lose besides $18 worth of ramps?

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, heidih said:

Pops right up for me. It is the preview view of the book. The listed reipe is verbatim as  @Anna N  posted  Note I am in Google Chrome so maybe that is a difference.

 

Not verbatim! That would be copyright infringement. I listed the ingredients and the rest is my own paraphrase. I believe that this is permissible. 

  • Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Not verbatim! That would be copyright infringement. I listed the ingredients and the rest is my own paraphrase. I believe that this is permissible. 

 

Of course that is what I  - the ingredient list.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:


Whatever the reason, it blocks me as well.

This is so weird.  I meant say "me too", but I just went back to the page, which I left open and NOW I can see the entire recipe - the whole thing, except backwards - directions, then ingredients.  

 

I honestly would never, ever drink buttermilk, but putting it in as an ingredients in biscuits, fried chicken soak and this dressing provides a tang I like a lot.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TicTac said:

If one had an aversion to buttermilk - given the taste of the final product per the original recipe, what would you substitute?

 

I am thinking maybe just a little lime and/or lemon and a bit of water?

 

How about kefir?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

 

I, too, am not thrilled with buttermilk.  Though whole milk buttermilk is somewhat more palatable for me.  You could try substituting whole milk yogurt for the buttermilk.  But my advice is to get some whole milk buttermilk and try it.  What do you have to lose besides $18 worth of ramps?

 

Yogurt is also on my no fly list...What's the taste difference between regular buttermilk and 'whole'?

 

The ramps I have covered!  I still have at least 3-4 jars of pickled ones (not to mention the 3-4lbs of frozen whole ones) from this past spring.

 

1 minute ago, blue_dolphin said:

 

How about kefir?

 

Kefir is somewhat tolerable, so I suppose that could work.  What about a rich Greek yogurt?

 

Is the mayo specifically Kewpie, or would any mayo suffice?  From what I seem to recall Kewpie mayo is slightly fattier with some sweetness added in, no?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TicTac said:

 

 

Is the mayo specifically Kewpie, or would any mayo suffice?  From what I seem to recall Kewpie mayo is slightly fattier with some sweetness added in, no?

 

 

 

I made it with Hellman’s and thought it benefitted from a little sugar.  Rounded it out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, so I made a batch with the $18 pickled ramps and I am deeply relieved to say that we actually prefer the cheaper (not to mention infinitely easier) substitution of scallion greens and cocktail onions.  Even after sitting for three days, the ramp version is just not as sharp as the cocktail onion version.  I'd love to know other folk's opinions.  

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TicTac said:

Yogurt is also on my no fly list...What's the taste difference between regular buttermilk and 'whole'?

 

The ramps I have covered!  I still have at least 3-4 jars of pickled ones (not to mention the 3-4lbs of frozen whole ones) from this past spring.

 

 

Kefir is somewhat tolerable, so I suppose that could work.  What about a rich Greek yogurt?

 

Is the mayo specifically Kewpie, or would any mayo suffice?  From what I seem to recall Kewpie mayo is slightly fattier with some sweetness added in, no?

 

 

 

Take one for the team and tell us.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is way too much angst over this recipe.   It is essentially fresh ranch dressing.       Mayo, buttermilk, pickled onions, lemon juice.     I use Best Foods/Hellman's mayo, a combo of cocktail onions and green onions, Meyer lemon juice.    LOTS of fresh cracked pepper.   

 

If you use any ranch dressing from any source, you are probably imbibing the same amount/proportion of buttermilk.   It has no flavor profile in the dressing that sour milk, sour cream, yogurt, kifir, et al wouldn't also impart.   

 

This is a good salad and veg topping, also we might add, not bad on cold meat or even pork shoulder steaks.

  • Like 2

eGullet member #80.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:


Whatever the reason, it blocks me as well.

I didn't I originally see it either. 

There were some pages (a long blue rectangle, actually) with the words "Some pages are omitted from the book preview". I double clicked on this blue rectangle and new pages appeared.

Might work for others...

  • Like 1

 

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

 

Tim Oliver

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Ok, so I made a batch with the $18 pickled ramps and I am deeply relieved to say that we actually prefer the cheaper (not to mention infinitely easier) substitution of scallion greens and cocktail onions.  Even after sitting for three days, the ramp version is just not as sharp as the cocktail onion version.  I'd love to know other folk's opinions.  

My guess (and based on my experience with ramps) is that if you used a combination of fresh and pickled ramps, this dressing would be significantly improved.

 

As @Margaret Pilgrim eluded to, there is much hype over this, quite frankly, because it has Chang's name linked to it.  From the looks of it, it is certainly not groundbreaking stuff!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...