• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Momofuku Ranch Dressing. What's the frigging recipe?

gfweb

11 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I wish you guys would stop removing the mystery of this wondrous stuff before I have the chance to try it. 😠

:raz:

We really love it.  I am starting to sniff that "Well, if it is SO popular, how good can it possibly be?" attitude.  I try not not be swayed by either raves or denunciations.  I know you'll make up your own mind, too!

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I wish you guys would stop removing the mystery of this wondrous stuff before I have the chance to try it. 😠

:raz:

I’m not dissing the ranch dressing completely.  The pickled ramps, yes. — at $18 a bottle I can get some fine pickled onions — probably as many as four jars I would guess. As for the ranch dressing it’s possible I did not have enough inclusions. It’s equally possible I didn’t season it well enough. It’s even possible I’m not a huge fan of ranch dressing made by anybody 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 4 weeks later...

I made a 'version of' a creamy ramp recipe;

3 tbsp of mayo

Quarter lemon

Pickled red onions minced

Dried ramp powder

Olive oil

S&P

Came out nice, I anticipate the longer it sits the better it will become esp with the dried ramps...

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, TicTac said:

I made a 'version of' a creamy ramp recipe;

3 tbsp of mayo

Quarter lemon

Pickled red onions minced

Dried ramp powder

Olive oil

S&P

Came out nice, I anticipate the longer it sits the better it will become esp with the dried ramps...

Dried ramp powder sounds intriguing.  Do you have a link?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Dried ramp powder sounds intriguing.  Do you have a link?

This was my first attempt at making ramp powder, actually.  Just low and slow in the dehydrator then blitzed in the blender.

A glut of ramps this past spring led me to not only freeze but also dry them.  A very unique (and different than other preservation techniques) flavour profile seems to get captured via the drying process.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, TicTac said:

A glut of ramps this past spring led me to not only freeze but also dry them.  A very unique (and different than other preservation techniques) flavour profile seems to get captured via the drying process.

You do realize what a kick in the gut your first sentence brings to us West Coasters?     And/but of course, we do expect different flavors from fresh and dried.   Still, sounds intriguing.    Enjoy and please report back.  

eGullet member #80.

1 hour ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

You do realize what a kick in the gut your first sentence brings to us West Coasters?     And/but of course, we do expect different flavors from fresh and dried.   Still, sounds intriguing.    Enjoy and please report back.  

Even us east coasters. I planted ramps in two great micro environments for them about 5 yrs ago.  I get the same ramps I planted growing every year ....no proliferation. I may have to forage. 

21 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Even us east coasters. I planted ramps in two great micro environments for them about 5 yrs ago.  I get the same ramps I planted growing every year ....no proliferation. I may have to forage. 

See yours and raise you 10...I have small, very small sack of ramp seed I bought several years ago at GREAT EXPENSE, still unplanted.    And as I read online instructions, if I plant them now, I still may never see the results.    Pray that ours will actually germinate.

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

8 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Does the MF Ranch dressing give anyone else indigestion?  I love the stuff, but within a few minutes of eating it, I feel like I'm having a heart attack!  

I'll do a public service test and report back after dinner...it could be the MSG.  Something recently caused reflux and a coughing fit but I don't recall what I was eating at the time.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I'll do a public service test and report back after dinner...it could be the MSG.  Something recently caused reflux and a coughing fit but I don't recall what I was eating at the time.

I really think it's the pickled onions.  They are intensely acidic. 

Leftover paella, tonight's baguette; salad of red pepper, lettuce, and tomatoes.  Ungodly amount of Momofuku -- or godly depending on one's point of view.  So far I am still alive.  Twin packs of Kewpie mayonnaise are now on my amazon subscribe and save.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

See yours and raise you 10...I have small, very small sack of ramp seed I bought several years ago at GREAT EXPENSE, still unplanted.    And as I read online instructions, if I plant them now, I still may never see the results.    Pray that ours will actually germinate.

I have transplanted a few patches from my 'spot' into my backyard over the last couple of years.  Have not noticed any spreading as of yet and we do not pick the bulbs, so we shall see.

12 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I have yet to see a ramp outside of a jar.

Come for a visit in late April/May and so long as you do not mind wearing a blindfold, I will take you to wide forest swaths with ramps on rolling hills as far as the eye can see!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

See?   They do rival truffles! 

And unlike truffles, if you treat them right (aka ethical harvesting/not pulling the bulbs) they will return every....single....year!

Speaking of which, I have about 4 months to use up a few freezer ziploc bags of the green gold!

Soup might be in order....

And it is oh so fantastic cooked down slowly -

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

4 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

But I don't have a source of chives.

Don't grow your own unless you really like them or have a contained area to plant them in. The small patch in the corner of our garden at the house where I used to live turned into the air smelling like onion every time I mowed the lawn because they spread out and took over a large section of the yard within a couple years.  :D

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.