• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recommendations around Newark airport (layover)

Duvel

I am travelling to Houston soon, but due to short notice was unable to secure a direct flight from Frankfurt. So, I was “blessed” with a layover at Newark. As I am arriving around 17.00h there is little I can do ... except gaving a decent dinner. Any recommendations around the airport ?

It was many years ago, but I enjoyed the Spanish Tavern in Newark when I was in town for something or other.  The place has been there for decades and gave me the impression that had I eaten there 50 years ago, it would not have felt much different.  It serves, as you can imagine, Spanish food and some Portuguese dishes.

• Thanks 1

There are a bunch of Portuguese restaurants in The Iron Bound neighborhood of Newark.  Can't remember the name of the one I've been to a couple of times.  Good sangria.  First time I ate there was a business dinner and if I'd had a flight to catch I would not have made the plane.  (Second time for lunch so only a half pitcher.)

• Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

10 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Better have a many hour layover if you plan to leave EWR

exactly. You won’t be missing out on anything great (although I’d personally be tempted to go to downtown Newark for Rodizio however with that security lines around American Thanksgiving I’d stay in the airport. I’ll be there on Friday. Wanderlust has good burgers. Just be prepared that cash (besides tipping curbside if that’s what you prefer, I always do that despite having Preferred Status)  doesn’t exists in terminal C. Everything is on Ipads or self service and it’s all credit only.   

• Thanks 1

Thanks & well notes. I will arrive tonight (Sunday, 17th) at ~17.00h and depart Monday at 7.00h in the morning. So some hours, and I will take a nap in one of the airport hotels (will need to check which one) ...

22 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Thanks & well notes. I will arrive tonight (Sunday, 17th) at ~17.00h and depart Monday at 7.00h in the morning. So some hours, and I will take a nap in one of the airport hotels (will need to check which one) ...

I have no experience in hotel as I live about 15 miles away. Newark is likely the best airport to live by and be able to live 25 miles from Manhattan and be in the suburbs. 
  That said  everyone raves about this place: 

https://www.valencarestaurantnj.com/

Edited by MetsFan5 (log)
  • Thanks 1

Something in the very back of my mind tells me there is a train from the airport to the heart of The Iron Bound.  The name Iron Bound refers to the confusion of the railroad tracks.

When we were there my Bolivian friend spoke Spanish to the waiter in the Portuguese restaurant.  She said most of the staff of these restaurants were actually from South America.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou