• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need your opinion on a kitchen product concept

S_AndPepper

Looks like it belongs next to a Philippe Starck juice spider.  https://www.independent.co.uk/property/interiors/the-secret-history-of-philippe-starcks-lemon-squeezer-1972849.html I could see it on the shelves of a Conran shop in London. With a Conran price point. Wouldn't sell at retail in the US at all, I don't think. Online orders might work.  I'd not buy it because I don't need semifunctional art in my kitchen.

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

Real estate is very, very dear in my kitchen.  Any addition must earn the space and that is no easy job.  I love big expanses of bare counters but it isn't any easy think to do.  The last think that managed to sneak in was an air fryer and I'm already kind of regretting getting it.  Let's just say I was under pressure from someone who was on a "let's eat healthier" kick.  I should have out waited him.   For sure, no juicer, no  matter how cool,  can justify being on the counter and it sure won't fit in any drawer.  I think Target is a great idea....best of luck with it.

1 hour ago, IowaDee said:

Real estate is very, very dear in my kitchen.  Any addition must earn the space and that is no easy job.  I love big expanses of bare counters but it isn't any easy think to do.  The last think that managed to sneak in was an air fryer and I'm already kind of regretting getting it.  Let's just say I was under pressure from someone who was on a "let's eat healthier" kick.  I should have out waited him.   For sure, no juicer, no  matter how cool,  can justify being on the counter and it sure won't fit in any drawer.  I think Target is a great idea....best of luck with it.

My Hamilton Beach 932 citrus juicer lives on my counter, and not for its looks.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

10 hours ago, chromedome said:

An afterthought, and an alternative retail avenue:

If you really want to swing for the fences, maybe pitch the device to Target. They've used superior design for years as a way of differentiating themselves from Walmart, and this might just hit their "sweet spot." You certainly wouldn't attempt to command a premium price in that market, but selling scads of them at Target might be more profitable than dribs and drabs at a Sur la Table or Williams-Sonoma sort of place.

Like the whole Michael Graves line back in the 90's. 

Oh! ...Also very important (though you may be waaaayyy ahead of me on this) is that it must be called a "Unicorn" juicer. :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I agree with all of the above. I would add a small ridge (maybe 1/2" high) at the top to redirect any wayward juice into the cup rather than have it run down the back side of the handle. It could also serve as a place to push against as you rotate the lemon to get the last few drops.

Paul Eggermann

Vice President, Secretary and webmaster

Les Marmitons of New Jersey

Heck I just cut them in half and tick a fork in mddle and twist. Still a scupturally interesting piece. I see it more as a planter for ]succulentts and the like (seriously)

• Like 4

If you hadn't pictured it with the lemon, I would have guessed you were going for a salt container.

I like the shape but similar to the others who  have commented, I don't see it as functionally better than other citrus reamers out there.  So I love the form but there are other citrus reamers/juicers that function more efficiently.

If I got one as a gift, I'd be using it as a salt cellar, truly.  I'd be filling it somewhat frequently but it would look beautiful on the counter.

Ummm.   I was sent a new combination lemon tool to test and  review a few months ago and it is new on the market.  Publicized as the "Ultimate Citrus Gadget"

947542752_ScreenShot2019-11-23at3_54_08PM.png.c26c8c6a8e51ff69515fb26d6532cef1.png

It is very handy, can be hung up to store and is quite efficient  and at a very reasonable price.  

I have electric juicers and  many zesters  so I gave it away after I  finished my review.

I should add  that one can zest the lemon, cut off one end and juice the whole lemon with this reamer, instead of doing the two halves. I found it much faster and it really produces a lot of juice - I do microwave the lemons for 15 seconds (up to 3 lemons) longer for more.  

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 4

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 2 weeks later...