• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need your opinion on a kitchen product concept

S_AndPepper

Hi! I am currently working on a kitchen product concept and was wondering what the people think of it?

QQMESo3Y99IpaBAUZpycKfvpFMoWmIhXlz9oq504

I am curious in:

• What is your first impression of the product?
  • How much do you think this lemon squeezer would cost?
  • Might you be interested in such a product?
  • Delicious 1

There's a market for something like that. I don't know how big it is but it's definitely out there. But I'm not sure how much of that market hangs out here. That would look interesting sitting on the counter and would probably spark conversation from those who saw it but there are other ways to do he same job that are much more practical. As you've probably worked out from the comments above, that tends to be the way the prevailing winds blow around here. Not that we don't appreciate fancy toys, most of us just don't tend to place them above function and practicality.

• Like 4

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Okay, here's my first impression. In order to squeeze the lemon you have to use side pressure which means you need the other hand to stabilize or push back on the other direction. With a wooden reamer the pressure is equalized on both hands. With many cone shaped juicers the pressure is mainly down, so the other hand need only keep the object from moving. I am a big fan of the old fashioned wooden reamer. It is simple and for me gets every drop of juice that can be squeezed out. Some people like to have a built-in strainer. Using the reamer means I just have to spoon out the seeds. Your gadget doesn't solve that problem either, even though it has a pouring spout. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S_AndPepper said:

What is your first impression of the product?

Very nice to see, totally useless. You need to put a hand behind it, which will be uncomfortable. You'll get lots of juice drops ending everywhere due to the geometry.

1 hour ago, S_AndPepper said:

How much do you think this lemon squeezer would cost?

Only way to sell it is with a price tag well over $50 and aiming to design maniacs. Cooks will keep far like the plague.

2 hours ago, S_AndPepper said:

Might you be interested in such a product?

NO.

Teo

• Like 3

Teo

Sexy, yes. It looks like something one would see in Architectural Digest in a multi million dollar home, and there’s definitely a market for beautiful things that aren’t truly practical. As for me in my humble non-AD home, it would be a no.

• Like 1

I like the look of it but I am with the comments above.  Also wonder how well it would juice limes which are smaller than lemons...at least the usual limes I can get here.  Also wonder how much juice sprays outside the container.

• Like 2

Not for me. I need all the help that physics can give me and if gravity gets in there too that’s all to the good. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

It's pretty. But I'm with the others; I'm doubtful of the usefulness.

Flip side of that, you could probably get a pretty penny for it for those designing Architectural Digest-type kitchens.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

10 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

Also wonder how well it would juice limes which are smaller than lemons...at least the usual limes I can get here.

You need to buy the whole set which comes in 3 sizes: big for grapefruits; medium for oranges and lemons; small for limes. If you behave well then you can win the chance to get the tiny tiny version for kumquats.

Teo

Teo

15 hours ago, S_AndPepper said:

Hi! I am currently working on a kitchen product concept and was wondering what the people think of it?

I am curious in:

Bear in mind, this is an especially tough crowd for a product of this type. Lots of focus on function, here, and most of our kitchens are already over-stuffed with gadgets and gewgaws. Earning a place in the mix is no small feat.

I think it's probably a viable product in the right setting (ie, high-end, fashion-conscious retail). Many a fortune has been made on the back of products that were impeccably stylish if not necessarily the *most* practical: The fashion industry springs to mind, for starters, and a design-first mentality hasn't kept Apple from being one of the world's most valuable companies.

• Like 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

An afterthought, and an alternative retail avenue:

If you really want to swing for the fences, maybe pitch the device to Target. They've used superior design for years as a way of differentiating themselves from Walmart, and this might just hit their "sweet spot." You certainly wouldn't attempt to command a premium price in that market, but selling scads of them at Target might be more profitable than dribs and drabs at a Sur la Table or Williams-Sonoma sort of place.

• Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

40 minutes ago, chromedome said:

An afterthought, and an alternative retail avenue:

If you really want to swing for the fences, maybe pitch the device to Target. They've used superior design for years as a way of differentiating themselves from Walmart, and this might just hit their "sweet spot." You certainly wouldn't attempt to command a premium price in that market, but selling scads of them at Target might be more profitable than dribs and drabs at a Sur la Table or Williams-Sonoma sort of place.

I think this is brilliant!

• Like 1

I agree with everything that has been said here, and I'll add that someone like my sister would buy it as a gift for someone.  I say my sister  as she is not particularly interested in cooking and so would not think of the space it would take up.  On the other hand, it is very attractive and that would appeal to her.  So yes, there is a market for it, but you won't find many, if any, eGulleterx buying it for themselves.

• Like 1

wow. that's beautiful, modern design that's very urban 

In the teens $15-$18  

I would get something like that if my kitchen tools were visible in my kitchen (and not in a cupboard) 

It looks very bulky in photo (but maybe actual size or post-prototype version would be smaller) 

I think I would get it if it were small, compact enough to not take up too much space in the house or cupboard 

***the photo makes it look big like a bowl but it looks like it's the size of 2 lemons which is smaller than it appears so there's a chance people might buy it once the dimensions are clear (place person next to it in an ad) 

Edited by eugenep (log)
  • Like 1